Tamukeyama this past Fall

Lower Hudson Valley, NY(Zone 6b)

Tamukeyama this past Fall

Thumbnail by victorgardener
Springfield, IL(Zone 6a)

Beautiful tree ...but how big is it ...your camera angle seems a bit deceptive ;>)....a nice shot BTW but ...how big is this plant and old ????? David

Hi David,

It is about five feet tall. I planted it in the Fall of 2003, but it was 3 1/2 to 4 feet tall then so I don't know how old it actually is. I will post additional photos of it.

Victor

Lombard, IL(Zone 5b)

It looks nice with the miscanthus flowers next to it. How does it combine with the Karl Forster's stiff form? I am curious since I have a bunch of Karl Foresters that will surely (just playing the odds) end up next a japanese maple like a garnet or red dragon when I rearrange my beds this spring.

Springfield, IL(Zone 6a)

Victor ...Thats what i thought from the rocks at bottom but wasn't sure ...Camera angles looking up from the ground or uphill can be deceptive and give that x-rated look ...objects may appear larger than they actually are ;>)

In general photographing JM's is not easy even in fall if you have alot of other stuff growing around it or alot of differnt stuff in the background( and nost of mine do ) just seems to get lost!!!...SO good work

I like your Tamu unlike most dissectums ya see yours is more upright and less mushroom shaped ...not that there's anything wrong with mushrooms but yours is distinctive and much more interesting IMHO David

Thanks to both of you. What you cannot tell from the photo is that you are looking at the back of my pond. If you look closely at the bottom right, you can make out the water surface through the lowest branches. I took the photo from the rear so I could get the entire JM, and not be distracted by the myriad other plants I have out front. Also, I could get closer. When I get a real nice shot from the front I will post it. Not happy with what I have so far.
Willis, I like the combination with Karl Foerster - much more than the miscanthus. For one, it's much more behaved and does not 'fall apart' after a heavy rain, as the miscanthus is apt to do. Also, I like the way Karl moves with the gentlest breeze. And although this JM is an upright, it still has the cascading branches which contrast nicely with the very upright habit of Karl. To boot, in the Fall the golden plumes of the grasses look so nice against the brilliance of the Tamuk. From the front, this JM is at the top and just behind the waterfall so it looks very nice. Also, there is a beautiful, large Blue Spruce behind so the JM stands out against it. David, that is why I chose this variety - I wanted an upright one for that spot. I have two other cascading ones around the pond. Thanks again.

Victor

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.