Actinidia Kolomikta: Kiwi Vine

Houston, United States(Zone 9b)

Has anyone ever grown this vine? It sure has some great foliage, green but with pink tips. Just wondering if anyone could recommend it.

This message was edited Jun 2, 2006 4:24 PM

south-west Peloponne, Greece(Zone 9a)

Hello Aimee!
I tried it once ... as you, I was very impressed by the coloured foliage and wanted it to grow here in Greece. After lots of searches, I had got a plant from Germany, but it would not stand our hot and dry climate here. Lastly it survived two years but was never happy and getting smaller steadily. 8b sounds much healthier! As it is often used in England, I think you should care it like this. Just keep it out of too much sunlight and try to keep a little humidity around the foliage!
Wish you luck!
Lixi

Lixi,
Thanks for your input on this vine! I was really thinking I would probably not get any responses, and to think, one all the way from Greece!!!! How awesome! Too bad there isn't an international forum and I could ask you more about your country! Glad to hear it would probably fair well here in Texas. I have the perfect spot I think, along my back fence, it gets shaded from the sun about 2ish in the afternoons so should do well then.

Fulton, MO

I have three. The two in full sun suffer a little by end of July. The variegation starts out white, then turns pink. I have clematis 'Bee's Jubilee' growing up through them. Mine have been slow to get climbing. This is the only picture I could find, it is two years old. SB

Thumbnail by stressbaby
south-west Peloponne, Greece(Zone 9a)

Hello Aimee!
But this is an international forum, isnīt it???
I just couldnīt imagine another place were you get in contact with so many people from around the world sharing our most interesting hobby - gardening!
Iīm very happy , if I was able to help you a little bit (as I love A. kolomikta too!!!) and whatever questions you might have about Greece - please just ask!
Love to be here!
Lixi

Lixi,

=) THANKS! You're right, DG is international, I just meant be nice to have like a traveler's forum or something. Be a good place for all us "dreamers" who only think of places we'd like to visit but might never. I took an Western Civ History class in college and it was one of my favorites, all about your region!!! My teacher co-taught with her husband and they'd visit Italy like every other year. And they knew all the hot spots but also were so used to being there they were happy they didn't have to follow tour guides and miss out on some of the best stuff. So interesting, such history!

Upper Saint Clair, PA(Zone 6a)

I have one here in z5a growing in full summertime shade -- once the oak tree gets its leaves. I love it. It truly graces 1/2 of an arbor up against the house. The vines wrap around the arbor beautifully. I still get a good show of white and pink tips in full shade. It's been there for nearly 7 years. Sorry, I don't have a pic. I'll have to get one this year. Good luck.

Edinburg, TX

WOW...I had no idea Greece was considered zone 9...just like south Texas. Small world!!!

~ Cat

Lin,

Your description sounds the best so far! I think it will be a must have for my yard now!

Texas,

Weird huh? I think France is same zone as me too and never knew til I found DG!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.