Speckled Chicken Eggs

Olympia, WA(Zone 7b)

I think I asked this question before buried in another thread, but never heard any answers. So here goes again:

When we get speckled chicken eggs, is that normal or not? Sometimes the speckles are light, sometimes dark, and sometimes bumpy while sometimes not. Those eggs sure look neat, but I wanted to make sure it's not a sign of any nutritional imbalance or anything. They eat organic layer feed, organic scratch, and select kitchen scraps and grass/weeds/bugs. Their shells are nice and thick, so we haven't felt the need to supplement with an extra calcium source yet. Any ideas?

Thanks,
Dana

Shenandoah Valley, VA(Zone 6b)

I've only ever heard that it's perfectly normal. You just don't see those eggs in the store b/c they get pulled on the "assembly line."

Olympia, WA(Zone 7b)

Okay, that's good news. Too bad they're pulled out from being sold in stores. Those are the fun ones!!

Thanks,
Dana

Fritch, TX(Zone 6b)

i also recall reading that those are the ones you don't want to incubate. so i would guess they are imperfect, but tasty!

Olympia, WA(Zone 7b)

Hmm, I wonder why that is?? Those are the ones that I blow out and keep the shells. I think they look neat. :)

Fritch, TX(Zone 6b)

don't ask me, i'm clueless and birdless ;-(

someone will know...

Claremore, OK(Zone 6a)

I also read that those are not the best to incubate, that they have a poor hatch rate. I did incubate some like that though and they seemed to hatch ok, at least this time. They are much harder to candle too. But we also eat them, and they're same as others as far as we can tell.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.