Early spring nectar plants/trees for Hummingbirds?

Southeastern, NH(Zone 5b)

That's good to know. The redbuds are just starting to bloom now. Is there a way to tell if the buckeye will flower? Does it have flower buds right as the leaves open? The leaves are just about finished opening on mine. Would I be able to see where the flowers will come from now?

Cincinnati (Anderson, OH(Zone 6a)

We have a red buckeye but it is old and was at the house when we bought it. It's in bloom now in full sun. I don't know much about their habits though.

I'm sure yours will bloom if it gets enough sun and water and avoids any freeze out from late frosts.

Or maybe it's not quite old enough to bloom. ---in Red Buckeye 'puberty' perhaps?!

Union Grove, AL

Sorry took me a while to find one, I've been very busy, take a good look. Blooms are mostly out here, at the tips of the branches, the leaves fully out. Check the branch tips and see if there are buds there, may be small, should be a spike of many, 20 or more buds , somewhat like a snapdragon, if not there at all , just leaves, then you have missed it for this year, otherwise in a week or so it should start to bloom.

Southeastern, NH(Zone 5b)

Thank you, I went to check just now and the only thing on the tip of some of the leaves are tiny red spikes. I hope that is what will turn into a bloom spike. :) If not I guess there is always next year :(

Union Grove, AL

sure sounds like a blossom spike to me

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.