What are those preditory wasps that eat fly larva called?

Palmyra, IL(Zone 5b)

Anyone know what those preditory wasps that eat fly larva are called?I want to order some...I have a coupon at gardens alive for $25 off of $25.But they don't say anything about what eats flies eggs.My Mom orders them from a Horse and vet catalog...but they don't give their scientific name just that they eat fly larva...anyway I need to know the name please.Thanks

Hey Jody, need a little bit more information from you. Need to know what kind of flies. There are face flies that really bug the crap out of horses and cows and all kinds of flies out there that are incredibly annoying. If you don't know what kind of fly, can you post a photo of the fly?

Palmyra, IL(Zone 5b)

yep those would be the ones.lol.by the way how have you been?

Hey Jody, All is well! I winter sowed my brains out the past two months or so. Were you aware that there is a RU this coming June just over the border in Wisconsin? Go on over to the Upper Midwest Gardening Forums and please consider coming.

My guess is you've either got face flies (Musca autumnalis) or cluster/blow flies (Pollenia rudis). Cluster flies reproduce in earthworms and face flies reproduce in cow poop. They both overwinter in odd ball places that are difficult to seal off and it is the combination of these two factors that makes them virtually impossible to control safely with pesticides. Aside from that, pesticides only target the adults anyway and it's the larva you would want to get.

You made me go over to the Gardens Alive site to see what they had. They have Trichogramma pretiosum. Read here at this site-
http://entowww.tamu.edu/extension/bulletins/b-6071.html#Selecting%20the%20Best%20Trichogramma%20Species

Based on what I know, you would be broke by the end of summer repeatedly trying to introduce these parasitic wasps weekly and I can't even figure out if that particular Trichogramma targets either the face or the blow fly. I don't see where biological controls currently available for either of these species are feasible. I don't see any way you could keep up introductions without having your pocketbook emptied.

Hope may be on the way though with some interesting work in the area of Semiochemicals for more flies. Sex pheromones!. The basic principles of that appear to be to lure them into a trap where they DIE. If this comes to fruition, my heart would leap with joy. I know next to nothing about these sex pheromones though. I'm not finding much information on semiochemicals out there that are available to the home gardener like you and I. Looks as if we're stuck with the ugly yellow fly tapes for a while which is what I use to keep them at bay. I also have fly swatters, lots of fly swatters and I arm my husband and kids with fly swatters. We go for them when they congregate on the siding of my home. I hate the splots of greasy residue they leave on everything when you kill them so I hose down my siding after we go on a fly swatting hunt.

Here's something that looks affordable that you could try-
http://www.bigdweb.com/FLY_RELIEF_BAG_P1375C836.cfm
Sheesh, I might even try it for that price.

If you have livestock being bothered by those nasty face flies, you might want to ask your vet if Zapp and Flypel will work to provide relief for animals. You basically pour it on and it lasts for at least a month.

The flies I hate the most are those nasty biting Stable Flies (Stomoxys calcitrans). Somebody out there is researching a mite that might do a number on those. The mite is Macrocheles muscaedomestica. Let's cross our fingers on that one. Here's some more encouraging news-
http://www.uky.edu/Ag/Entomology/entfacts/livestc/ef502.htm

Here's another link to check out-
http://www.biconet.com/flies.html

Basically, I wouldn't purchase the Gardens Alive product. I don't think it will target the species of flies you are having problems with.

Here's something I found while poking around for you that left me in fits of giggles. Wonder if we could bottle "heat"-
http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/f-news/790185/posts
And check this out-
http://gayspirituality.typepad.com/blog/2005/06/fruity_flies.html
Beverly Hills here we come if we could unleash the potential there!

On my! It's late and I'm slap happy. So glad you had a fly problem you asked about. I learned a lot tonight.

Hey Jody, I've missed running into you!

Kalispell, MT(Zone 4b)

I looked up the story of wasps and the most common "yellow jacket" eats tons of meat (aphids) in their first 2/3rds of summer. As the summer ends they go off meat to fruit etc. Then they are not feeding on aphids etc.

Palmyra, IL(Zone 5b)

Hi Equilibrium
I'm thinking about the Wisconsin round-up...my cousin lives near Madison...so I could stay at her house...I really don't have the money to go right now...but who knows what will happen between now and then...
face flys..probably we have cattle all around us maybe a mile away but every which way.lol.We also have those horrible horse flys they bug the horses to death...I go out every night starting about July and kill 25-50 of them every night right before dark they attach...they attach in swarms...smart devils...they have a mean bite too.I looked them up,nothing kills them but regular wasps...so I leave all wasp nests alone unless of course they are making their home in my propane tank or tractor or of course the barn...:-(
i d use those fly bags with the fly pheromones...they work very well and I get thousands and that's no joke.i then fill up the containers and drown them...you can buy the pheromones and reuse the bags...I also have 2 one gallon heavy plastic ones and a 3 gallon one...they are both totally reuseable...thanks for all the great information...your a trooper as far as research...hugs,Jody

Soferdig,thanks for your input...I will leave them alone now too...since I started growing roses...I need all the good bugs I can get...

Yellow Jackets are our friends! I hate to say this but my Tall Pitcher Plants like them very much too! It never ceases to amaze me how many flying insects one Tall pitcher can reveal when dissected. Awesome.

Palmyra, IL(Zone 5b)

I wonder do my woods have pitcher plants?are they native?

Kalispell, MT(Zone 4b)

You know Equil that they are in there for a free meal. Eating away at any bug meat they can get their fangs on. Too bad they were in the wrong meal place at the wrong meal time. LOL "The early bird gets the worm." This is a statement we have gotten all wrong. Not the birds perspective the worms. Sleep in!

HeyJody, doubtful that your woods would have them but the species of pitcher plant that is indigenous to your area is Sarracenia purpurea ssp purpurea as well as a few Drosera spp. Rather attractive plant but their cultural requirements wouldn't be met in a woods or forest however I've found all kinds of "remnant" surprises when out poking around so go ahead and check in any areas that are low lying.

There have been some interesting studies on how it is that certain species end up in the tubes and this time around the yellow jackets are the prey. They will have been "lured" to the opening of the tube and in their quest for "nectar", they will have not realized that they are slipping hopelessly downward deeper into the tube. Attempts to crawl back out of the tube will be futile as the plant is designed to force them down the tube where they will drown in rainwater in the pitcher and the plant will absorb their nutrients and become one with the yellow jacket. I should go outside and see if I've got a tube left that I could dissect for you two to show you what all is in there. Tons of flies. I also have some seedling purps here that are just darling.

Kalispell, MT(Zone 4b)

way cool Equil. The yellow jacket sounds like the gardener who is lured to the nursery in early spring hungering for the plants and

Quoting:
have not realized they are slipping hopelessly downward deeper into
purchasing plants. They then have no time to cook, clean, visit, talk to their spouse, not knowing that
Quoting:
Attempts to crawl back out of the tube will be futile as the plant is designed to force them down the tube where they will drown in rainwater in the pitcher and the plant will absorb their nutrients

I have no place in my garden yet for a bog. I'm waiting on the trees to tell me where to bury my tub of goo.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.