Wildflowers

Watkinsville, GA

I have had two large wildflower patches for the last several years, but they have gotten overgrown. Last week I tilled most of them and will till them again in a few weeks. This year they will be smaller, and (hopefully) more manageable.
My previous experience was that coreopsis, bee-balm and black-eyed susans grow well from seeds, but most other varieties either never sprout, or maybe get choked out. Any ideas about what will be best to sow this year, and how about timing - I should be ready early April. How soon is too soon? (I'm near Athens)
Thanks,
Alt

Thumbnail by altmusik
Decatur, GA(Zone 7a)

I've had great luck with Batchelor's Buttons from seed. Cleome, too, but they do tend to crowd out the smaller plants.

You can plant those seedlings about now. Things will come up when they are ready.
Think about mexican hats and yellow coneflower, both Ratibia.
Coreopsis Tripteris is good too. Like the blackeyed susan, it forms a rosette that is evergreen and that helps to choke out the grasses you have growing there.

You might also want to contact your local extension office to find out what DOT plants in your area, or the University there, they have wonderful pamphlets and information about all sorts of plantings.

GGG

(Zone 10b)

You have a beautiful patch of wildflowers.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.