Bug ID needed

Stockton, CA(Zone 9a)

These were side by side in a vee of my orange tree branches. Should have taken the picture first, but did not think of it until after I wiped them good with rubbing alcohol. Their backs were hairy, not cotton candy hairy, more like long straight bangs. Does that make sense? Probably not, but you can still see the white in the pic, it is just clumped together instead of flowing. They are orange underneath and have black legs. Alcohol worked well to kill them even though they were so much bigger then scale or mealy bugs. Hope someone can tell me what these are. I checked out my whole tree & there are no more.
Thanks!
Donna

Thumbnail by PudgyMudpies
Stockton, CA(Zone 9a)

Here is a clearer one of just their undersides

Stockton, CA(Zone 9a)

Yeah, just call me eagle eye. Not. LOL I went back out to double check & there sat one right next to a LEMON! Not even an orange. Scary, I know. LOL The mind is the first thing to go. ;~)
So anyway, here is what they look like before they are alcoholed.

Celaya, Mexico(Zone 10a)

Looks like cottony cushion scale (Icerya purchasi)
http://creatures.ifas.ufl.edu/fruit/cottony_cushion_scale.htm

Stockton, CA(Zone 9a)

Yep, thats it! Thanks for the info. I will start checking all 4 of my citrus on a daily basis & make sure these creepy things don't get a foothold.

mid central, FL(Zone 9a)

those things are nasty. don't let them get a foothold! you can use a light oil spray. if there aren't many, a can of Pam will do.

Stockton, CA(Zone 9a)

Well, I thought I had conquered these things but I discovered more today. I am very annoyed! I sat out there with a q-tip and a dixie cup of rubbing alcohol cleaning off as many as I could find, but those darn ants have managed to get into the citrus & I KNOW they are the reason these are back. I did not apply more tanglefoot on the trunks this year so it is my own fault. I was reading about sprays but I REALLY am not comfortable using pesticides on my families food, we get enough of that with what we buy at the store! So I am gonna get more tanglefoot to eliminate the ants, then keep doing the daily searches and in the Spring make sure that some of the bags of ladybugs I buy get hung directly on the citrus.
I am interested in your oil method trackinsand, can you tell me more? Can I just use olive oil? I always have a bottle on hand and it usually goes rancid before I finish it, so I am hoping I can use that in a spray bottle. Do I only spray directly on the bugs and not all over?
Thanks!
Donna

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.