Danbury, CT(Zone 6a)

Does anyone else have problems with deer trying to eat your garden? We have a ton of deer around here. I put up 6 foot mesh fencing last year and it worked most of the season. Into the fall, the deer decided to put on their winter weight and knocked down my fencing. Didn't matter to me at that point because everything was harvested and they just ate what was left, some tomato leaves, etc. Anyway, I'm going to expand the garden this year... about double the size and I want to put up a more permanent fencing this time. Something that we will leave up year round for years to come, that the deer can't knock down. I've heard deer can jump up to 8 feet high, but they did stay out of the six foot fence I had last year. Anyone have experience with this subject? What do you use? My husband is keen on putting an electric fence along the top. I hesitate. The only electric fence I experienced was the one on my aunt and uncle's farm to keep the cattle IN. Eventually, I did bump into it as a kid and it didn't feel good.

Thoughts?

Lawrenceville, GA(Zone 7b)

Hi Jenhill:

Check out this thread. Lots of good info

http://davesgarden.com/forums/t/548058/

BB

New Iberia, LA(Zone 9a)

Thanks for the info. We have deers here! We just found deer's poo in our back yard where our new veg garden will be. We are going to put fence up and keep my lab dog out at nights.. He likes to chase after deer!

Rutland , MA(Zone 5b)

i ALWAYS have trouble with deer. forget all the home remedies you have heard about. the only way to keep them out is to build a fence a minimum of 7 feet. after i put up the fence i got wire (the kind they use when they bale carboard) and ran it across the top of the fence north south east and west until i had a little wire roof overhead. i spaced the wire about a foot apart just to be on the safe side. remember, if a deer cannot see over or through a fence they will never jump over it

hope this helps

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.