Valerian, Clematis "Sweet Autumn", Nicotiana "Fragrant Cloud

Middle of, VA(Zone 7a)

I thought I'd get some feedback from you experts - I already looked them up on Dave's but wanted any new opinions from any of you regarding scent on these & their "growability"
Thanks much!
Chantell

Lincoln, NE(Zone 5b)

The Clematis couldn't be easier. It does have a wonderful sweet honey fragrance that you can smell at quite a distance on a warm evening.

Middle of, VA(Zone 7a)

Thanks Moby...seriously considering ordering it. Hoping being in zone 7 I won't have an issue with it being invasive as many of the comments suggested.

Pleasureville, KY(Zone 6a)

Chantell, I have several clematis here in zone 6, and I have never had a problem with any becoming invasive. My deck is about 5 feet off the ground, and I have them, on small trellises that completely cover that space.

Middle of, VA(Zone 7a)

defoecat - I'm not sure if the comments were meant for all Clematis or this one in particular. I just didn't want to spend my entire summer hacking at something...LOL

Chantell, I have several varieties, and non have proved invasive at all. Don't have the Sweet Autumn, but I would think that with pruning every year anything could be kept in bounds.

Middle of, VA(Zone 7a)

Thanks defoecat - I'm thinking that's the way to keep in under control. :)

Ellicott City, MD(Zone 7a)

Chantell:

I've grown Clematis "Sweet Autumn" for years and I'd even consider it to be invasive! I have found it sprouting up all over my garden and subsequently, have been pulling it out! Plus, I prune this Clematis back extremely hard in early Spring and it now covers approximately 15-18ft (maybe more) of my split rail fence. Here's a picture of it.

Nicotiana, "Fragrant Cloud" is an annual unlike the Clematis vine.

Thumbnail by Shirley1md

Shirley, I have several clematis, not Sweet Autumn, though, I will steer clear of it if that is it's habit. Thanks.

Middle of, VA(Zone 7a)

Hmmm....now I'm thinking maybe I'll pass. I already have Confederate Jasmine in a 3 gal pot that I've been babying since Nov. That might be enough. Shirley yours is in full sun...right? I was thinking of putting it in the back yard but the back faces north & barely gets any sun.

Lee's Summit, MO(Zone 6a)

Sweet autumn clematis is native to our area and covers ACRES of woods and roadsides - it is definently invasive!

Valerian smells like cherry pie and is ALSO INVASIVE - it reseeds everywhere.

Nicotiana isn't all that fragrant unless you stick your nose right into it, but the hummers flock to it. Even though it reseeds everywhere, it's worth it to watch the antics of the hummingbirds!

Lincoln, NE(Zone 5b)

Wow, I've never heard nor seen (in my garden) that either could be so invasive! I didn't comment on the Nicotiana because I'm not at all impressed by it.

Barnesville, GA(Zone 8a)

I've had my SAC for about 10 years now, and even transplanted it 2 years ago. Not found it invasive, the seedlings not weeded are given away.

As for Valerian, i can barely detect a scent :(

Ottawa, ON(Zone 5a)

I grow heliotrope (aka valerian) every year from seed, and find the scent intoxicating. Bees love it too. This year I want to group some with garlic chives and pink New Guinea impatiens for a colour and fragrance whammy.

Danielsville, GA(Zone 7b)

I have the sac growing in an area that me and time have forgotten,I guess I can thank the birds.I plowed my way back in there to see what was climbing 50feet up in the trees,the vine diameter is1",but I never noticed the smell,my loss I guess.How close do you need to get to catch the aroma?

Middle of, VA(Zone 7a)

mqiq....now that's a good quetion. Any of you w/sac...how strong is the fragrance.

As for the Valarin and Nicotiana my understanding is there are different types...some more fragrant then others i.e. 'Fragrant Cloud'

Lincoln, NE(Zone 5b)

I think the scent is difficult to describe ~ sweet, like pastries? Almond? When it's warm and with a breeze, I've smelled it and couldn't find it! My next-door neighbors have noticed it from the opposite side of my yard.

Long Island, NY(Zone 6b)

I have the Sweet Autumn and although I like it, I agree with the others about it's invasiveness. I chop it in the fall and it grows like crazy. You would think it's an annual with it's growth habit. I have valerian seed as well as Nicotinia seed as I would like to try that, but will keep an eye on the seeds.

Anita

Barnesville, GA(Zone 8a)

My SAC does have an almond scent, more noticable on very warm days, and it drifts--love it. Must be my way of treating sturdy perennials--neglect.

The Valarian I grow is Centranthus Ruber, aka Jupiter's Beard http://davesgarden.com/pf/go/136/index.html

Heliotrope and Valarian aren't related are they?

Long Island, NY(Zone 6b)

no they are not - but some people confuse White Heliotrope [H. arborescens 'Alba'] and Valerian or Garden Heliotrope [Valeriana officinalis]

Lakemont, GA(Zone 8a)

I have a SAC growing in my rose bush and I can't smell it- LOL!
I have yet to find a nicotiana that doesn't have an intoxicating fragrance. Go figure noses- LOL!

Danielsville, GA(Zone 7b)

As far as invasive,I don't think I have any other scatered around,and at top of pine hight,I would think so,if it reseeds.Mike

Barnesville, GA(Zone 8a)

I had a hard time finding them Mike, I thought I was weeding Virginia Creeper, lol.

Chantell: SAC is NOT in full sun! It is growing on the N.E. side of my fence. It's sprouting up everywhere along my split rail fence, growing up through my Holly tree, and has even climbed my towering Junipers! It's scent is very light and I have to put my nose into it to get a whiff.

Here's a picture of SAC climbing the Juniper!

Thumbnail by Shirley1md

SAC climbing the Holly tree.

Thumbnail by Shirley1md
Union Grove, AL

SAC can even grow well in the shade, though it doesn't bloom as well there, I have it clambering up a pine tree i don't much like and it is lovely when it bloom, for me the scent is quite strong and I don't much like being downwind, but form 15 feet away it is delightful

Middle of, VA(Zone 7a)

Question for those of you that have SAC...anyone use it as a ground cover?

Union Grove, AL

I haven't and probably won't. it climbs up EVERYTHING, a little on the ground I like but real snaky if allowed to flop as far as it wishes. One of the prettiest ways I've used it is at a fav client's, covers part of a brick wall overhanging the pool, then clambers over a clear area, about 4 feet and then up a clopped holly hedge, Dwf Burordii kept down to about 12 feet. Interesting till it blooms then flat out lovely, going to divide it this spring, next week probably to keep it under control

Middle of, VA(Zone 7a)

Hmmm....front of my townhouse is brick...ah...can just imagine the HOA...gee, too bad eh? LOL Thanks for the suggestions!! :)

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.