I need CLEMATIS help!!!

San Leandro, CA(Zone 9b)

I have 5 arbors that have roses on them. I have read how clematis look great climbing along with the rose. Is this true? I do not want to cover the rose blooms or have it look messy.

Any clematis rebloom or do all bloom just once?

Are the fancy doubles not as floriferous?

Which ones flowers the most?

My biggest arbor has 2 roses on it Night Owl and Berries 'n' Cream. So I was thinking of a purple clematis on one side and a pink on the other.

Any ideas??? THANKS for your help.

Pics from Edmunds site.

Thumbnail by Kell
San Leandro, CA(Zone 9b)

I also have an arbor with Social Climber on it, a pink. I guess I should have a contrasting colored clematis. Or maybe a darker pink one?

Picture from Jackson & Perkins

Any ideas for a real foriferous one???

Thumbnail by Kell
San Leandro, CA(Zone 9b)

I have another arbor with 4th of July on it. That is red and white, a smaller flower.

Thumbnail by Kell
San Leandro, CA(Zone 9b)

And I have a hot pink one, High Society, on another arbor. Real big blooms.

Any ideas? THANKS

Thumbnail by Kell
Ellicott City, MD(Zone 7a)

Hi Kell! All your Roses are SO beautiful! It sounds like you're looking for PINK (a favorite color of yours), purple and red? Is that right? You want inconspicuous blooms, small ones, doubles, light ones & dark ones...did I leave anything out? The trick is to have the Clematis bloom at the same time your magnificent Roses are in their glory. So, it sounds like you may want to concentrate on type 1's (no pruning), type 2's (light pruning) and type 3's (heavy pruning)! You never can go wrong with viticellas (3's), which are NOT prone to Clematis wilt. I also love the texensis varities, which are small and come in a variety of colors & shapes. However, you've GOT to have early large varieties, plus late bloomers because you have such a nice long growing season! In other words, you need one of each! Did I just complicate matters??? :~)

San Leandro, CA(Zone 9b)

Hi Shirley, NOOOOOOOOOO LOL, I do not want want inconspicuous blooms, I want gaud blooms. LOL. THANKS for you help.

What I do not understand is will the clematis overpower the rose on the arbor and cover it??

You speak my language, I need 3 per side? LOL. The more the better. Well if I need 3 different kinds per arbor and all bloom at different times, I guess I can go for different colors. I don't want it to be so mixed it looks messy and competing with each other.

Do any bloom twice a season?

Schererville, IN(Zone 5a)

Beautiful roses, Kell!!

I am going to be doing the same thing on pillars....mixing roses and clematis....

I have a question....Okay, if I get the group 3 in the clem's, you cute back hard, and then you'd have to get all the cut vines out of the roses? I didn't prune the climbers hard last year cause I got prune happy the year before with a few, and they never were as big as the ones I didn't prune that hard....I am hoping I don't have too much die back this year with them.....

Good luck picking out the clematis.....I still haven't decided.....LOL

San Leandro, CA(Zone 9b)

Well that is a thought I never had. Maybe I should reconsider this brain storm to get more bang for my buck.

Ideally, you would choose clematis that bloom the same time as your roses, but even that's not guaranteed. Generally a clematis will only bloom once in a season, but that bloomiing period will last a couple of months. A type 3 clematis would be best for growing with roses, because you could trim it back the same time as you trim back your roses in late winter. Now, since you're in a warmer zone, you may be able to get two bloomings out of a clematis. The trick will be to find one that will tolerate your short and mild winter. You should go to the Clematis on the Web site and try to find some that will tolerate your zone. Here's the link - http://www.clematis.hull.ac.uk/index.html -

Good luck!

Christine

Houston, United States(Zone 9b)

Thanks for this post question!

Christine-you sould like you know what you're talking about! I have heard there are classifications for clemantis. What is the difference, if you have time to elaborate?

This message was edited Jun 2, 2006 4:27 PM

Aw, I just read a lot Aimee...lol... So, there are three pruning groups for clematis - group 1 needs no pruning, aside from getting rid of dead stuff in the spring. Group 2 needs to be trimmed down to about three feet or so in the late winter/early spring. Group 3 should be trimmed to less than 12" in the last winter. The Clematis on the Web site is one of the best tools I've come across to help clematis lovers. Another site is the International Clematis Society - http://dialspace.dial.pipex.com/clematis/index.htm

Cristine

Here is a link that will explain the three pruning groups. Group 2's are classified as re-bloomers. http://www.taunton.com/finegardening/pages/g00156.asp Another good reason to grow Clematis & Roses together is that Clematis love and benefit from Rose fertilizer. You're taking care of both at once. If you cut your Clematis back lightly AFTER they have finished blooming (I'm talking about Group 2's here) and then fertilize them once more, by the July 4th weekend, you should get a 2nd flush of color.

Clematis on the Web http://www.clematis.hull.ac.uk/index.html and the British Clematis Society http://www.britishclematis.org.uk/ have outstanding information, as well as, the International Clematis Society, noted above, and the American Clematis Society http://clematis.org/ too.

Kell: Here are a few ideas on matching your Roses with some beautiful Clematis vines.

Rose, "Night Owl"
Clematis "Josephine", lg. double lavender pink flowers with a deep pink bar
"Chalcedony", double/semi-double icy blue to pinkish flowers
"Florida Sieboldii"-small grower but gorgeous large white double flowers with a deep purplish red center that says, "look at me"!

Rose, "Berry Cream"
Clematis "Avant Garde" (small red flower with a pink pom-pom center)
Clematis , "Fireworks", very lg. purple flowers with a dark reddish purple bar
Clematis, "Inspiration", reddish-pink blooms, interesting shape flowers

Rose, "Social Climber"
Clematis, "Madame Edoaurd Andre" (deep ruby red)
Clematis, "Mikelite" (heavy bloomer w/dark purple blooms with a hint of pink in the bars)
Clematis, "Perle d'Azur" (sky blue w/ pink highlights)

Rose, "4th of July"
Clematis, "Ice Blue", double white with a tinge of blue
Clematis, "Betty Corning", a Viticella with pale pinkish nodding flowers and darker veining
Clematis, "Asao", a Japanese variety with semi-double large deep pink blooms

Rose, "High Society"
Clematis, "Matka Siedliska", double & single white with a hint of pink in the flowers
Clematis, "Madame Baron Veillard", very lg. delicate shades of lavender-pink late blooming flowers
Clematis, "Violet Elizabeth", double & semi-double very lg. pinkish mauve flowers
Clematis, "Vivienne", rosy-plum flowers with a crimson stripe

Whatcha think???

Tulsa, OK(Zone 6b)

Bringing back a month old thread, How do you plant a new Clematis with an established rose so it can grow up in the rose?

Willis, TX(Zone 8b)

I have pruning group 3s planted with my Roses and the reason is that I can almost get three bloom cycles with them in my Texas Zone 8...
Baja..It's very simple...just dig your hole to the side of the Established rose and plant..make sure you plant it at least 2 to 4 inches deeper than the pot it is in...Both Roses and Clematis love the rose fertilizer...Here is my Clematis "Comtesse de Bouchard" with climbing rosa "New Dawn".."New Dawn" was planted as a bare root last year along with my clematis..Hope this helps...Jeanne

Thumbnail by JeanneTX

baja220: I like to plant my Clematis on the North side of any Rose or shrub. The Rose, for example, would help to shade the Clematis' roots. Also, I like to amend my planting hole with manure, compost, bone meal (to help build & establish good roots) and I also toss in a some polymer crystals to keep the soil hydrated, so that it will not dry up as quickly. While your Clematis is getting established the 1st year, please remember to keep it watered.

Jeanne: Beautiful blooms on your Clematis "Comtesse de Bouchard" & Rose, "New Dawn"!

Tulsa, OK(Zone 6b)

Thanks for the info Shirley and Jeanne!!! Now I just gotta figure out which Clematis to buy. I need a true red and a really hot pink Clematis. And a group 3 is recommended to plant with roses??

Jeanne, I can't believe those are only 1 year old. Beautiful!!!

Debbie

Winchester, KY(Zone 6a)

So Kell, what did you decide? Surely you found some wonderfully gaudy clematis to climb up on your roses. I planted clematis with 6 of my roses last year, so I'm really excited to see the results this year. I've read and observed that the clematis vines are very light, and delicately wind their way through the rose. They seem quite happily paired.
Neal

Tulsa, OK(Zone 6b)

Jeanne, how are the plants you get from Gardencrossings??? Do they have a good root system??

I am still amazed at Silver Star Vinery's root system. She has really good prices too! I just replanted mine from a pot and the roots are crazy! They are already climbing higher than any of my stakes. I had to put them where they will be. They are way ahead of my roses. I can't wait to see them bloom!
Nikki

Willis, TX(Zone 8b)

Debbie....Chads Clematis aren't as big as Debbies at Silver Star Vinery for sure..they come in a half-gallon pot..but they are respectable by all means....that is why his are cheaper, but they will do just as well...I have planted 6 of his and they are growing like mad(It's all in how you plant them once you get them into your gardens) ..they are big enough to go directly into the garden and not be potted up like those you get in those 6 inchers at Walmart....Hope this helps..Jeanne

Nikki: It sounds like your Clematis vines are going to beat your Roses to the punch this year, in terms of which will bloom first!

The old cliche still holds true...."you get what you pay for"! No comparison on vines from big box stores like Walmart, Lowes or Home Depot to a Clematis Nursery. Much better selection too on hard-to-find Clematises; this especially holds true for addicts or gardeners soon-to-be Clematis addicts!

Hey Shirley,
What would go with my pink Don Juan climber? I think I'm going to put it going up my lamp post. It's hot pink.
What about Blossom time? It has a darker pink reverse, so it starts darker, then the blooms are lighter pink. http://www.helpmefind.com/rose/l.php?i=A21833&tab=10&qs=-10514
Blaze? I have two Blaze to go on a three paneled lattice screen with a bench in front.
I need your expertise!
You have D-mail.

Hi Nikki,

I like either a red or purple Clematis with pink flowering Roses. Is Blaze a red Rose? How about a pink Clematis vine with it.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.