Terracing in NW Oklahoma ?

Muldrow, OK

Terracing Question: I live in NW OK near the border w/Arkansas. its hilly-low mountain. homestead is on a steep hill -Iam considering doing raised-bed-terracing for veggie-herb & flower gardens instead of traditional rows or beds. soil somewhat clay & lots of rock. Anyone w/ terrace'ing knowledge or know of links? Local Agri Extension had no info. thanks

Murfreesboro, TN(Zone 7a)

HI, tehekana, I can't answer your terracing question, but I'm wondering if you meant you're in NE Oklahoma, (northwestern OK would be in the panhandle, out near western KS and New Mexico, yes?)

SE Arky, United States(Zone 8a)

I wondered the same thing, but then I'm from Arky...flatland, delta, I know zero about terracing, unless it's rice levees...

Murfreesboro, TN(Zone 7a)

Here are some threads that might give you some ideas: http://davesgarden.com/forums/search.php?q=terracing&submit=%28%3A+Search+forums+%3A%29

I would say your first order of business is to decide if the slope is gradual enough you can tackle this yourself, or if you need to hire it out. Either way, a local landscape company or designer can (probably for a fee) give you some ideas as to the best approach - number and size of terraces, where to place steps, etc.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.