what are these please?

mid central, FL(Zone 9a)

this was on the underside of a Knockout Rose leaf. each one is about the size of a half grain of rice and they look like they are nose to tail in a row. i cut the leaf off and put it in a bucket and they never moved all day. after i took the picture, i threw them in the trash. i guess i should have investigated more, but they creeped me out just looking at them/it whatever it is! thanks in advance, debi

Thumbnail by trackinsand
Stockton, CA(Zone 9a)

I have found these same things on my Rose of Sharons last year. I thought they were eggs myself, but never did find out for sure. I will be interested in seeing what people come up with.

mid central, FL(Zone 9a)

Pudgy, i wish my picture had turned out more clear. when i brought the garbage can in this morning, there was the little leaf at the bottom of the can! i am going to take it out tomorrow and see if they are still on there and maybe get a better picture. you are probably right in thinking eggs, but such a wierd shape, almost like points on both ends and kind of rounded in the middle.

Stockton, CA(Zone 9a)

I know what you mean, I could never get a good picture of mine either. My camera at the time could just not handle close ups. This was the best one I had:

Thumbnail by PudgyMudpies
mid central, FL(Zone 9a)

oh wow, it really is the same thing. i wonder if it's some kind of scale?

Stockton, CA(Zone 9a)

hmmm, I don't know. What ever is laying those eggs has got to be pretty big to get those out of itself, and in those large numbers! Crikey, I really would not want to meet that thing in the dark! LOLOL
The only way I could describe the size and shape is to compare it to the Rice A Roni thing that is a noodle or something, not rice. Does that make sense? When I make the rice pilaf, there are grains of rice and then those flat almond shaped things that I think are not rice and that to me is exactly it.
I know, I am really a technical person, I cannot help it. HARHAR

Celaya, Mexico(Zone 10a)

I believe those are katydid eggs
http://www.uky.edu/Ag/CritterFiles/casefile/insects/grasshoppers/grasshoppers.htm

mid central, FL(Zone 9a)

by george i think he's got it! there was a green one messing around here a couple of weeks ago on the roses, i smashed him/her. the picture you show is exactly pudgy's. i didn't think mine overlapped quite as much, i have to go out and check that leaf in the morning.

pudgy, you're thinking of orzo. LOL

Celaya, Mexico(Zone 10a)

The egg sizes, shapes and patterns will vary with the species so yours may not look excactly the same.

mid central, FL(Zone 9a)

that's what i was just thinking. this is so great, thanks very much. i am going to see what i can pull up on google in regards to egg pictures. DG comes thru again. i don't usually smash bugs, but these guys will strip a plant in nothing flat.

Stockton, CA(Zone 9a)

Yep, those are the ones! I figured it would have to be something pretty big to lay all those big eggs. Yuck. I hate those things, they scare me to death. I live in fear of them getting in my hair. Go figure, must be a girl thing. :~)

ORZO! Of course! LOLOL Duh, huh? Why did I think noodle...

mid central, FL(Zone 9a)

orzo is noodly to me too. kind of looks like a tapeworm. o gag, did i say that?

mid central, FL(Zone 9a)

eggs of the broad-winged katydid, the big green guy. i couldn't get the picture to hyperlink, but if you go to google, put in katydid eggs on images and scroll down, you can see the one i have. it even says they lay them on the edge of the leaf. thanks!!!

This message was edited Mar 8, 2006 10:10 PM

Celaya, Mexico(Zone 10a)

Quoting:
PudgyMudpies:
Yuck. I hate those things, they scare me to death.

LOL then you gonna hate to hear this. As a kid I was collecting them at dusk armed with a flashlight and a plastic bag and let them roam free in my my bed room. The sounds at night made me feel like i'm out camping LOL. They make great (though short lived) pets :)

Stockton, CA(Zone 9a)

EEEWWWWWW, that makes my skin crawl just thinking about them in a room where I am sleeping! I am sooooo glad my son never did that when he was a boy! That I know of...LOL

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.