Advice on plant selection for pool area

Gastonia, NC(Zone 7b)

Hi all, new here from Gaston, NC(7a).

We're putting in a pool this spring, and would love advice on plant selection that doesn't attract bees. Needing privacy plants too, and don't want to go the leyland cypress route.

This is not our property in the photo, but it is an example of the pool.

There are no trees in the area, and it has full sun most of the day.

Thumbnail by guamgirl
Gastonia, NC(Zone 7b)

Hellooooooo, anyone alive out there?????? Wassa matter, isn't my question interesting enough???? I thought someone would have any opinion on this matter???

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

We don't have a pool, and I'm still pretty new to gardening, so I'm not going to be much help. I like the pool, though. It looked like a kiwi bird at first glance... (Of course I was SURE I saw a non-existant dog in a different thread, so it's possible I just need my glasses checked. LOL) Were you thinking of putting a curvy bed with flowers along the edge of the walk around the pool or doing pots of tropical-y things or...? :-)

SE Arky, United States(Zone 8a)

I have LOTZ of bees and they have never been a problem around the pool, they much prefer the crepe myrtle, my fav is Natchez White, and the honey is to die for...if you have lots of bees, my suggestion would be to plant plants that the bees LOVE, as far away as possible from the cement pond...works like a charm, the crepe myrtles were here long before the pool...

Laceys Spring, AL(Zone 7a)

For screening, look at some of the Cryptomeria selections that are full and upright and get around 12-15' tall. They love full sun. Black dragon is a fairly common one that is fairly easy to find around here, but there are also several others with nice deep color and soft foliage. You could underplant with dwarf varieties of juniper or crypts, or use evergreen azaleas or rhododendrons for some contrast in texture. I've never had a pool, so not much help there. It would also help to see your actual area and layout. Anything flowering will attract bees and many will attract butterflies but you could put those away from the immediate pool area. It depends on how close to the pool you want the shrubs & flowering perennials/annuals to be. I would tend toward evergreen shrubs near the pool and put anything deciduous away from the pool anyway to keep down the leaves and debris in the fall.

Murfreesboro, TN(Zone 7a)

Last summer we bordered my MIL's inground pool with a 12" border of liriope grass, and low-voltage outdoor lights spaced every 6-10 feet. We used metal landscape edging to define this area. We chose liriope for two reasons: 1) it gets tall enough to trap grass clippings, leaves and debris from blowing into the pool; and 2) the late-summer flowers only start blooming in earnest when the pool season here is nearly over, so no bees/wasps to worry about.

The liriope stays green all year, but a good haircut in early spring (before the pool cover comes off) will get it in good shape for new, fresh growth all spring and summer.

Gastonia, NC(Zone 7b)

Thanks for the ideas!

I took a walk through the nursery today to see what was blooming, just to get some ideas. I love spring flowering plants, and figure if the bees are out now they won't be bothersome at the pool. I love butterflies and birds too, so I'm trying to incorporate some plants to attract more wildlife as well.

A few small trees underplanted with some shrubs will do the trick. I'm not crazy about azaleas, but hollies and hydrangeas might work. Or do they contrast with each other??? I love ferns and those shady plants, but there is full sun out here.

I like the idea of the liriope, I'll definitely use a little, too much looks tacky, and trimming it could be a huge chore.

I hope to plant some climbing roses along the far side fence, and probably a few leyland cypress to screen neighbors. I'd love to have a spruce or evergreen of some sort to decorate for Christmas.

I had a red maple along the property line before the developer leveled it, and I remember a bloodgood Maple from Georgia that provided the most beautiful fall leaves!

Can you tell I like color??? I hope to have some year round.

I'll upload a photo of the lot soon. thanks again, I'm impatient, can ya tell???

Pocahontas, TN(Zone 7b)

Guamgirl - maybe the people in the Carolinas Forum would be in a better position to make suggestions. Here is the link
http://davesgarden.com/forums/f/region_carolinas/all/

Judy

Gastonia, NC(Zone 7b)

Thanks for the link Judy, I didn't know there was a carolinas forum. Guess we could all learn from each other.

The hole is being dug today. I will shop when the pool is in place, then I'll know exactly how much space I have. I want to use native plants, that are drought tolerant and colorful. too much to ask?

Have a great day, its finally warming up (again).

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.