Variegated Boston fern?

New Madison, OH(Zone 5a)

Have you all seen these? They are beautiful!! I just got one at Wallyworld for 4.00 today! Glasshouse Works sells them for 18.00...and says they are rare???

New Madison, OH(Zone 5a)

Ooops! Here are the pictures!

Thumbnail by Marcy_1
New Madison, OH(Zone 5a)

Full view

Thumbnail by Marcy_1
East Texas, United States(Zone 8a)

Like you, I've seen this plant priced cheaply as well as ridiculously expensive. Mine is planted inground, mostly shade and has grown well, but variegation has faded some. You have to stand close to notice. TG I was lucky to find it for cheap.

Saint Louis, MO(Zone 6a)

It's beautiful. I've tried growing ferns. I love the way they look, but they never seem to take off in my yard. Any ideas or suggestions for ones that are "easy" and that would be hardy in my area. I live in St. Louis, MO and it gets pretty darn cold in the winter. I have mostly shade - My Hosta's, Lilies of the Valley, Ivy, etc.. do really well. I've tried planting ferns and they grow a little and then croak. Thanks for sharing the picture of yours- Makes me a little envious though.

New Madison, OH(Zone 5a)

Hi Vossner...... lucky you to plant them in the ground! Of course it gets too cold here for Boston ferns...so these are in hanging baskets. I went back this morning and got a second one....they only had 3 left! Told the garden center mngr the price I had seen on the net...and he wanted to up the price on me!! LOL..he was joking!
Thank you Pamget! They are very pretty! You might try this type of fern outside in your gardens. I have them and they do very well here. They do spread though and take a good bit of water to keep them looking nice once it warms up outside.

Ostrich Fern

Matteucia struthiopteris (Ostrich Fern) - Tall, graceful fronds that resemble Ostrich feathers. Does well in shade or part shade in moist, rich soil. One of the most majestic Ferns, it can grow up to 5 feet.
Zones 2 - 7.

Saint Louis, MO(Zone 6a)

Thanks Marcy1 - I'll give the fern another try.

East Texas, United States(Zone 8a)

Pam, I know there are ferns for cooler weather. Maybe googling will lead you somewhere or somebody will soon post here.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.