Another seed pod on thunbergia grandiflora

Deep South Coastal, TX(Zone 10a)

Actually, I found 5 or 6 pods! both times that it has set pods has been after a cool spell. Wonder if temps has anything to do with seed production? Hope I can catch at least one of these before they pop open(like the last time)

Thumbnail by Calalily
Edinburg, TX

Ooohhhh...thanks for posting that photo.

I have two thunbergias like yours and they have bloomed but didn't see any pod. Now that I know what they look like I shall keep looking. They look so much like the little pods on the thunbergia alata - black-eyed susan vines...how strange that the blooms are so very different.

* * * By the way...I assume these grow from cuttings...and I really need to cut back one of my vines that has grown quite rampant! Any helpful hints for propagating it? Guess I should read up on how to propagate it and get busy this coming weekend :o)

~ Cat

Summerville, SC(Zone 8a)

I rarely find seed pods on mine .. I think I found a total of 10 seeds on 9 vines last year! Other people say they are inundated with voluteers from seeds all over the place! I'm wondering if they require a certain kind of insect to pollinate them. I can't tell you how many flowers I've torn apart trying to see if there are male and female flowers. Lucky you!

Cat, my thunbergia is suppose to be an annual, but have come back 2 years in a row now after being frozen to the ground and without mulch! That kind of worries me a bit because it could get away and go native. I'm not too overly worried though, since I rarely see seed pods.

X

The Thunbergia grandiflora is hardy even in parts of NC(I know someone who has one). Here, it is evergreen and flowers from fall thru spring.
KayJones told me to take older growth and cut it with either two or three nodes(I forget) and stick in rockwool. It has worked! I have two rooted cuttings in less than a month! I had been trying to root new growth with very little success, but the older wood is easier.

Forgot to add, this seed pod is a lot bigger than T. alata pods, but shaped exactly the same. The pod is probably as big at the bottom as the tip of my thumb.

Winnipeg, MB(Zone 4a)

Way to go, Susie! I have a few seeds to start. I used to have a plant from a cutting but lost it last year.
:) Donna

Kannapolis, NC(Zone 7b)

I've never seen any seed pods on mine.

Livermore, CA(Zone 9a)

Me either, but mine never does bloom until right before frost anyway. I have sucessfully rooted cuttings off it several times though.

San Leandro, CA(Zone 9b)

Susie if you saw the one I just took out last month, it was huge. Which was the problem. It was growing up into my 30 year old bougainvillea and I didn't want it to cover all the color on that. It killed me to do it.

Niceville, FL(Zone 8b)

That is awesome. I have a couple of these vines and have never seen a seep pod on one.

I have seen honeybees all over the plant in the daytime and hawkmoths in the evening. I wonder if some kind of moth pollinates it?

Kannapolis, NC(Zone 7b)

Shame on you Kell for digging out all these plants many of us would love. Of course, we need your California weather to grow plants like you do and maybe your greenthumb. LOL

Ada, it is terrible what Kell throws away!!! I want to raid her compost pile, lol.
I found 12 seed pods on the Thunbergia. I'm watching them so they don't pop open. I hope to get the seeds. A big bumblebee was going from flower to flower this morning.

Seguin, TX(Zone 8b)

This is a beautiful plant. I first saw it when I went to Martha's Bloomers, they have a huge vine of this growing and it's spectacular in bloom. I had a small vine of this but it ended up being one of the many things that did not survive my 2-week trip home over winter break. Sigh....unfortunately there are always some lost then. But not as many this year as in years past.

Kim

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.