this is what has happened so far:
http://davesgarden.com/forums/t/577410/#new

Appleton, WI(Zone 5a)

OK it's looking bland here

Everyone has a blue aster, mine is Professor Kippenberg

Thumbnail by bigcityal
Lincoln, United Kingdom(Zone 8a)

Pretty group there!

Mine is a 'Tonga Island' series, can't remember the particular name until I find the label

Ha! Googled and found it, it is "Island Aster 'Tonga'"

http://www.windmillfarms.com/Gallery/pages/islandastertonga.htm
This message was edited Mar 6, 2006 6:25 PM

This message was edited Mar 6, 2006 6:29 PM

Thumbnail by wallaby1
Plano, TX(Zone 8a)

Beautiful asters, both of you!

Minneapolis, MN(Zone 4b)

Al, Thanks for starting the new thread the other was a bit long.
I don't have any digital close ups of my asters. Here's some geraniums instead.

Thumbnail by zenpotter
Appleton, WI(Zone 5a)

Wallaby,
who said there were do overs?

very nice Zen, is the yellow stuff euphorbia?

Minneapolis, MN(Zone 4b)

Al,
Al the yellow is: Sedum reflexum -Jenny's Stonecrop/ Crooked Yellow Sedum
It took me a while to remember which one it was-I love sedum and have several yellow. I really do need to complete my garden maping this summer. It just seems to end up last on the list and doesn't get done. Now I map new gardens as I plant them.

bigcityal you're not suggesting I have 'done mine over' are you?

That is real!

Thumbnail by wallaby1
Appleton, WI(Zone 5a)

Yes I do that also, I also do end of season inventory maps to make sure I know what I have also.
Here's an example:
http://davesgarden.com/journal/d/i/8830/

Appleton, WI(Zone 5a)

No - I mean your post you edited twice.
I would never mean to offend your plants.

Oh well, saves space! 1st I left your compliment out, accidentally! Then I added the link!

Brockton, MA(Zone 6a)

Wallaby, Are those 'Redskin' dahlias? Or a 'Bishops'?
I love the dark leaved ones.
Andy P

Appleton, WI(Zone 5a)

Wally,
So what's growing in your zone 8a right now?

It's Bishop's Children Andy, i grew them from seed.

What's growing? helleborus, crocus, cyclamen coum, iris reticulata, tritelea. That's it I think, don't take notice of the 8a, we are not as warm as some lower zones you have!

Brockton, MA(Zone 6a)

Wally, I thought I recognized the Bishops Children. I started them from seed too.
Here is a pic of a magenta one that came out red, darn digital camera.......
Andy P

Thumbnail by Sarahskeeper
Appleton, WI(Zone 5a)

Hey I have a funny cyclamen story. For the last 2 or 3 years I have planted my cyclamen(I think corm) and it doesn't come up - it doesn't come up. So I leave it and plant other stuff around it, and then at the end of the year when I'm tearing stuff out I find that ratty looking plant and save it for next year. It has never flowered - I am holding it hostage.

Brockton, MA(Zone 6a)

Al, Try planting it in a pot as a house plant.
Andy P

Appleton, WI(Zone 5a)

Yeah I could do that - or I could chuck it at my neighbor

Long Island, NY(Zone 6b)

LOL - I've planted them this past fall - I am curious to see if they grow by me [cyclamen]. If they don't, can I chuck mine at your neighbor too?

Wally - are you sure that is your backyard and not a pick of the local Botanical Garden????? Georgeous!

Appleton, WI(Zone 5a)

Anita,
Which one - they all have it coming. You may be right about the garden thing - she is way over there - what are we going to check on her?

Hey Wallaby I've got everyone calling you Wally - what do ya think of that luv?

Long Island, NY(Zone 6b)

Al, we might have to take a trip over the pond - just to make sure!

Appleton, WI(Zone 5a)

right- o

If you bought it dried they are difficult, best if freshly lifted or growing. My cyclamen have really come on well, loads of flowers this year, I have 3 seed grown coum pewter leaf ones 7 years now, full of flower and only just got mature, flowered in 5 years, very slow! I buried my C hederifolium for a start, then thought I should put them closer to the surface, but they were growing, soem died, now have about 6 and quite big.

My dahlia BC have are an assortment of colours, a light pink, one only, a double orange, burnt yellow with a light red ring, most red but different shades, one's maroon, some really interesting hard to describe colours, sort of peony red/purple colour. That one in the pic is the correct colour, it screams vibrant red. Red's can be difficult to capture the colour if light's not correct.

Thumbnail by wallaby1
Long Island, NY(Zone 6b)

Nice Grouping Wallaby

OK jokesters, throw if you have a long arm! You couldn't miss my garden if you came here, it's the only one that looks like a botanical garden!

If you really want to throw at a neighbour I have one in mind...

Thanks Anita,

Don't mind the Wally, most people think I'm one anyway...

Thumbnail by wallaby1
Brockton, MA(Zone 6a)

Wallaby, That's a nice one.
This was the last pic of a BC last Fall. LOL
An Orange one.
Andy P

Thumbnail by Sarahskeeper

Oh yes Andy, i saw that one, amazing! My orange is similar but more double, with dark foliage

Thumbnail by wallaby1
Brockton, MA(Zone 6a)

It's the dark foliage that first drew me to them. They do come in so many colours, there is hardly 2 exactly alike.
Singles and doubles.
Andy P

Appleton, WI(Zone 5a)

OK I'm back, Wally - I am trying that one tall seed dahlia from T&M - didn't you talk about growing those?

Appleton, WI(Zone 5a)

Anita - do you have this Rudbeckia? Autumn Colors

Thumbnail by bigcityal

Beauty that rudbeckia! yep it was the heirloom species mix, grow to 5' tall no staking needed.

Thumbnail by wallaby1
Long Island, NY(Zone 6b)

No, but it is a beauty!!! These are what I have planted so far..

Rudbeckia hirta Chim Chiminee
Rudbeckia hirta Gloriosa Daisies
Rudbeckia hirta Kelvedon Star
Rudbeckia hirta Rustic Dwarfs Mixed

Appleton, WI(Zone 5a)

I think I might get a few of those in a T&M order I'm putting in. Cherokee Sunset was my favorite of the semi perennial rudbeckias. It didn't overwinter or reseed tho.

North Vancouver, BC(Zone 8a)

Wallaby........are those trees planted in threes, Pawlonia Tomentosa? (aka...Chinese Empress trees).........Elaine

Minneapolis, MN(Zone 4b)

Wow, I leave my computer for a few hours and you are way ahead of me. I'm not sure who is one first any more, much less second base.

We Minnesotans are a bit sad this morning after loosing Kirby Puckett. This comment isn't completely out in left field (pun intended) after I wrote the first base comment Kirby came to mind.

Al, that Rudbeckia Autumn Colors is beautiful.

Andy P. and Wallaby1, those oranges are so vibrant, love um.

Pauline

Elaine yes the are paulownia tomentosa, I grew them from seed and that is their 1st year in the ground. Waiting for the rest of the tropical bed to go in, and an explosion!

White Lake, ON(Zone 4b)

Hi wallaby - do you just grow the Paulownia for it's foliage? What I mean is, do you cut it down each year? I heard about this being done in Pennsylvia on a garden tour a couple of years ago. I've got some seed wintersown this year. How tall do you expect it to grow? What a great foliage accent with those huge leaves!

Sandy

Sandy I will perhaps leave the middle one to grow, and cut back the other two. if you cut them to a pair of buds you will get something like 8' in a season, and larger leaves. Cut them to the ground and they will grow to 15' in a season. I might just cut all 3. They make flower buds over winter and can be damaged with spring frosts, besides I have too many other big things to put in the spot behind them, the big leaves are tropical looking!

It was their first year in the ground, they shouldn't be planted out until 3 to 4 years, they can be temperamental in the early stages. You will find they take a long time to germinate, I put mine in a shady spot sown on the surface with a plastic covering to keep moist, in a greenhouse. Some will be weaker than others, I left them in the greenhouse overwinter and the weaker ones died. The soft growth will die back so wait until a pair of buds near the base forms, then when bursting into growth cut back to them, often one will take over. That is why they can die when young I suppose, but once mature there is no killing them! My strongest one when only in it's second year had both buds knocked of by a cat jumping up for a bird, it died (the plant), even though it was getting a good size. Once they're past 2 years they are OK, mine were left outside in 8" pots for the last winter before planting.

White Lake, ON(Zone 4b)

Wow, Wallaby thanks so much for that info. Now my seeds have a fighting chance!

Sandy

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.