Labeling a system that works

Moorhead, MN(Zone 4a)

Year after year I see so many gardening gurus waste time on labeling. I fought with it for years.
**Sharpies and most other pens wash off
**Labels wash away
**Labels blow away

I don't want labels in the shape of bunnies. Nor do I want to have the neighbor lady bending over bloomer look. I just want to know what I planted.

I must admit, if you don't have a job or more important things to do with your time, then I think it is great to cut up jugs, cottage cheese containers, window blinds, or whatever other labeling plastic you like. Most of us have to count our time a little more wisely. There are two links below that will provide you with two solutions that work, and keep on working. If you write small and save the labels, you can use them 4 times. I've saved them for up to 4 years. That is total of 4,000 labels for less than $20.00.

Here are the labels:
http://www.amleo.com/index/item.cgi?cmd=view&Words=sl558

Here's the pen:
http://www.amleo.com/index/item.cgi?cmd=view&Words=HNP8B

They work perfectly for hanging on concrete remesh cages. A gutter spike is a great way to mark a row or a block area in the garden.

If you find them cheaper from a direct or catalog source, please let us all know.

Moorhead, MN(Zone 4a)

BTW, The title of this thread was actually "Labeling -- a system that works". Apparently this forum removes "--" (which is usually used to express an en dash).

Rutland , MA(Zone 5b)

i'v always had trouble with labeling my plants once i put them out into the garden. thanks forthe website but sequee gave me a way to label my stuff and she says its guaranteed to work. she takes those little wooden sticks (the kind that are on the icecream bars) writes the name of the plant etc. and then takes clear nail polish and brushes it over the writing. she says it lasts forever. i am going to try it this year.

Miami, FL(Zone 10b)

I gave up labeling in the garden. I label seedlings until I plant out and then I just draw a garden map to scale on a sheet of paper and write down what's growing where.
Flip

Moorhead, MN(Zone 4a)

Herbie43,
In the vegetable garden setting, the could work (annually planted). Just remember that the little wood sticks rot, get covered up, and get stomped over by visitors. I've been there, and done that. They simply aren't a good long term solution for perennials -- nothing that stands up is good. We don't even like the fancy aluminum etched style stakes. They are just too obvious.

Of course, like anything, it is about personal preference.

+++
Aries44,
Five years ago -- I still remember that dreaded day (said in that dramatic British accented poetic style) my complete map of my garden was tossed in the garbage accidentally.

+++
Forewarned, forearmed; to be prepared is half the victory. (Miguel de Cervantes)

Rutland , MA(Zone 5b)

jefe - would only bei used in my containers that are on my deck and only used for vegetables besides for a few dollars i can buy enough wooden stakes to last a lifetime. thanks for your input.

Forest, IN

Where can I find those preprinted plastic labels that come on plants when you buy them in a store? I am raising daylilies and need an attractive durable label to put on the potted ones.

Thumbnail by grandmazurf

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.