Picea orientalis

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

Does this look like Picea orientalis to you experts?

Scott

Thumbnail by Decumbent
Scott County, KY(Zone 5b)

Yes, but as I might quote the redoubtable Resin,

"Give us a cone!"

Which, hopefully, then looks like this.

Thumbnail by ViburnumValley
Illinois, IL(Zone 5b)

Carpinus piceana.

Guy S.

Northumberland, United Kingdom(Zone 9a)

Yep, Picea orientalis

Resin

Ellijay, GA(Zone 7a)

About 120 years from now and in favorable growing conditions your P. orientalis could have a trunk like this 3'+ diameter /120' high giant Oriental Spruce growing in Highlands, North Carolina!

conifer50

Thumbnail by conifer50
Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

Hi ConEd 50,

I'm willing to bet I'll miss that! The Picea orientalis I photographed was at a park, and was already 30' tall. Even with that headstart, I still doubt I'll ever see it reach 120'. But, I might live long enough to go see a big one in North Carolina.

Scott

Scott County, KY(Zone 5b)

Dextromethorphan:

Surely you've seen the fine fellows that grace Spring Grove Cemetery? If not, get thee hence! Many, many excellent examples of Oriental spruce are to be found there, easily exceeding 100' (30.3 m+/-) in all their glory.

Confounded50:

Where is Highlands, NC? Is this tree on an estate, arboretum, campus, what?

Ellijay, GA(Zone 7a)

VV , get your road atlas out and look just above the northeast corner of Ga., "you can't miss it." This tree as well as several other large Picea orientalis is located on a tract of land adjacent to the local high school and is owned by the "Highlands Hiker Club." There's also some huge Nordman Fir there as well with the largest said to be the tallest in U.S. The high elevation(~4000') ,high rainfall, and cool summer temperatures probably account for their "excessive" size.

ps: let's don't forget the "age" factor, it may be the most important factor!
Also, I noticed the Nordman's had reseeded prolificantly in nearby woods but with no regeneration from the Oriental Spruce.

conifer50

Northumberland, United Kingdom(Zone 9a)

Hi Despondent & co.,

You've all a fair way to go yet - it is known in the wild to 57m tall and 4m diameter:
http://www.conifers.org/pi/pic/orientalis.htm

The UK champs are 37m tall and 1.25m diameter

Resin

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.