Fertlizing

Presque Isle, MI(Zone 5a)

I have read that you should fertilize about the end of winter. When is the end of winter? When is the best time to fertilize.

Gary

Thumbnail by garyt
Bay City, MI(Zone 6a)

What are you fertilizing and what are you trying to achieve? What leads you to believe it's necessary?

Al

Lincoln Park, MI(Zone 5a)

What are you wanting to fertilize your plants or grass?

Loretta..

Milton, MA(Zone 6a)

Gary, gary, gary,

Your question has puzzled existentialists for thousands and thousands of years (presuming there were existentialists thousands of years ago). When is the end of Winter? Were you to ask a government agency, it could tell you the exact second of the Spring Equinox on March 21 or 22. Ancient Celts could be nearly as precise, while using different methods. Let's assume you are asking from the point of view of a gardener. In that event, the answers are still as different as the microclimates in your own area. At my house, I would say Spring has come to Daylily Row, where we planted many non-daylily bulbs this fall to extend the interest in this area. On the other hand, Spring has yet to arrive at the Rose Boxes, which are in dappled sun and get more sun as the days get longer. And none of this applies to you, dearling. because I'm in zone 6a and you're not.

xxxxxxx, Carrie

Kalispell, MT(Zone 4b)

If you are using a Miloraganite product it is good to put on now. If you are using a chemical fertilizer, too early. Wait for soil to warm up to use the chemicals before they are extracted from rain, melt, etc. My prefrence is to fertilize when I airiate my lawn and see the nice plugs coming out wet and deep. Then I use my chemical fertilizer. The holes let the nitrogen get deeper earlier. Of course if you are talking about beds and garden areas, I would wait until they start growing. Soil temps over 55 F. Last if you are using slow release fertilizer you can put it out any time cause most of them don't work until 65 F or higher. This is my opinion and I respect all those who differ.

Presque Isle, MI(Zone 5a)

Special thanks to Soferdig. You sound like a professional. I will follow your advice. I use milorganite fertiliser. And Carrie, you are awarded best philosopher and garden writer(happy face).

Gary

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.