Garden amarylis

Saluda, SC(Zone 8a)

I have seen some beautiful amarylis blooming in yards in areas of Lexington County. This week end I found some bulbs labeled "garden amarylis" in red, bi-color, and white. I purchased them, but am wondering if they are going to survive in the garden in my zone 7 . Can anyone tell me anything about "garden amarylis"?
Lane

Jacksonville, FL(Zone 9a)

They will do just fine in your garden. Just don't plant them too deep; the "neck and shoulders" of the bulbs should be above ground.
There were many amaryllis in my garden when I moved to Columbia many years ago. I thought the frost had heaved the bulbs because they were all coming out of the soil. They bloomed beautifully however and I later learned they do better with the top of the bulb exposed.

Saluda, SC(Zone 8a)

ardesia, thanks for the information, I probably would have planted them to deeply for good growth.

Mt.Pleasant, SC(Zone 8b)

I have tons in my garden and not only do they bloom wonderfully they are naturalizing also. Lots of spreading under the ground and baby ones. They are cool. I even have one that seems to bloom twice, April and July. Pretty neat. I love them tucked in amongst all of the other flowers in the garden. And even when they are not blooming the foliage looks so good. No bugs or diseases either. Quite a few of mine disappear totally during the winter month but back they pop every year. Have fun.

Ginny

Saluda, SC(Zone 8a)

Ginny, your situation is what I hoped to be able to accomplish. Boy, I can just picture next year's growing plot!! That's what I love about gardening -- this year's blossom- next year's dream!!

One other question: I have found red, white, red/white bi-color, (and I saw but did not purchase), an orange colored one. Are other colors available?
Lane

This message was edited Mar 9, 2006 3:47 PM

Mt.Pleasant, SC(Zone 8b)

The colors I know about are, pink, red,white, red and white, pink and white, and there are some really exotic ones in some of the catalogues online. You just have to go look at them.

They are so easy to grow, stick them in the ground and don't fuss over them. Easy baby. You are not too far from me. several hours. My teenage daughter was driving to Saluda, NC one day and was too arrogant to listen to directions and thought she knew everything and ended up in Saluda SC instead, That was pretty funny, I got a laugh out of that.

Ginny

PS. Any fun nurseries up your way?

I always watch for leftovers after Christmas. WalMart often has them for $1.00 at that time. I can plant them year round here; in Saluda you will have to wait for the warm weather.

Saluda, SC(Zone 8a)

Ginny, Park's seed is only about 30 miles from here in Greenwood, SC. They are mainly a mail order concern, but I really enjoy walking through the trial gardens during the peak seasons. We just drive up get out of the car and wonder around...no body has stopped us yet, even on Sundays when no one seems to be around.

Bet your daughter learned to listen to directions, as she found out Saluda NC is a bit away from here!

Lane

anyone know if these amaryllis are hardy in nc 7a?

Lane, I love to wander at Parks too; do you know if they have re-opened their store? I received an email that it was closed for renovations a while back.
Another place to visit that is a true fantasy is Carter and Holmes Orchids in Newberry. Do you frequent them? They have lots of other tropicals in addition to orchids.

Mt.Pleasant, SC(Zone 8b)

There is a really great rose nursery in Landrum as well. They have an aopen house tour day in June I think, lunch and everything.

.......and Roses Unlimited is in Laurens; what a great state to garden in.

Mt.Pleasant, SC(Zone 8b)

I know we are so lucky, we can almost garden 12 months a year. I love it. This is the best place to live. Hey, are you not somewhere near where that awesome daffodil farm is, the one with thousands and thousands of daffies. I went there once, it was quite a sight. I think it was Lady Island near Beaufort. I hate to be ignorant, but am having a lapse, I forgot where St. Helena Island is.

What have you bought for your garden so far, and what are you going to get?

Ginny

Yes, the daffodil farm is not far away but thay are no longer open to the public. Last year they did have a fund raiser where you could go and pick a bucket of flowers for a donation to a charity.
St. Helena is the next island after Lady's; on the way out to Hunting Island and Fripp.

I just got two boxes of plants in the mail today. Some awesome Cordylines from AlohaHoya and a box from Woodlanders with a Pink Cherokee Rose, a Bouvardia ternifolia and 2 hibiscus - grandiflora and Hamibo. I've been baaaaddddd.

Do you belong to the Chas. Hort. Soc.?

Crossville, TN

Question....some one gave me some :"amarylis seeds...they look like a black thin flake...how do I start from seeds? Jo

Mt.Pleasant, SC(Zone 8b)

Stick them in the dirt, but it will be a while before you have blooms. Probably several years. You would probably do better to do them in pots where you have more control.

Ginny

Crossville, TN

Thanks, Ginny...will do...Jo

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.