Nipping off the stem to help strengthen annuals ...

Charlotte, NC(Zone 8a)

When starting flowers from seed, is it advisable to cut the stem back on Cosmos (for instance) or on other annuals that get too tall and want to bend over as they are growing? I just wondered if this practice is recommended on flowers that have a stem structure like Cosmos. If it is, can you give other examples of flowers that it is good for and at what height would you do this or how many sets of leaves should be there to do this?

Karin ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

San Diego, CA(Zone 10b)

ive never thought about it for cosmos. I had some that were 8 feet tall last, because of all the rain then the heat. I had to find super stakes for them. Maybe I should of pinched them back when they were young.

Albany, OR(Zone 8a)

Yes, pinching them back will make them branch out more. I usally pinch them back after the 2nd set of true leaves. I do this for most all annuals and it does make them bushier. I had cosmos last year and the ones I did pinch back did much better and didn't fall over with weight so much.
Carol

Eastlake, OH(Zone 5a)

I am gwoing geraniums from seed. They have their 3rd set of true leaves. Would it be best to pinch out the middle leaves that are starting to grow?

Albany, OR(Zone 8a)

I would wait for the 4th set of leaves myself. But if it is getting leggy, go for it.
Carol

Charlotte, NC(Zone 8a)

Thank you so much for all your input.(s)

Karin ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.