Cardoon: anyone growing it?

Shenandoah Valley, VA(Zone 6b)

I'd like to try cardoon, after reading up on old Victorian and continental gardens. I haven't found much on its culinary success (or lack of it) in the U.S., or, really, anywhere lately. Does anyone grow it for cooking? What cultivar? Where did you find seeds? Would you grow it again?

Cochise, AZ(Zone 8b)

I have seeds from Seeds of Change but no experience as I just decided to try it.

Maybe we can remember to compare notes...

Drumheller, Alberta, Canada(Zone 3a)

try this website:
http://botanical.com/botanical/mgmh/a/artic068.html

Thanks, Ccino. Good information.

Union Grove, AL

I had good luck with them 2 years ago but they didn't pull through the early spring rains, got about 3 feet tall and were absolutly beautiful. Tried them again but had dog problems and it was to late to start again. I gave them well prepared and enriched soil, sand and mulch mix and fed then fairly heavily till August. Flavor was bitter as all get out but I didn blanch them properly, will try them again this year. JL hudson has had them and i think Select seeds, I'll be ordering soon and will repost if you are interested.
Jeff

Yes, please do post how it goes. I'm not sure I can fit it in this year, but I'm definitely interested in it.
Thanks!

Union Grove, AL

Bakers's has cardoon seed in stock at the moment, still running up my order.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.