Anybody use them in cooking?

Frederick, MD(Zone 6a)

The pansy and johnny jump ups we grow ourselves and know they're organic are great for salads and other things - these aren't mine, but I have decorated cupcakes with them before. They are great in salads too :)

Thumbnail by Dea
Everson, WA(Zone 8a)

Dea, those are so beautiful. They are almost too beautiful to eat.....almost....

Union Grove, AL

I use violets a good bit when they are in season, usually as a garnish as they are some trouble to pick for a main ingerdient, but i do use the leaves for most of the year. usually in salads or chopped in soups and omelets. The blue blossoms are esp nice added to the bowl in corn chowdwer, the flavor is great and the look is even better.

San Leandro, CA(Zone 9b)

I use them in salads here just for a visual pick me up. I love the cupcakes!!!

We had some Violet Cream chocolates for the first time in years over Christmas although they weren't quite the quality that allowed a little crystalised flower on the top. They do make such a showy topping for cakes though don't they!

Fallbrook, CA(Zone 10b)

One of my best memories was a huge field of violets in Iowa and we made violet jelly. It was beautiful put in old blue Mason jars.

Buffalo, NY(Zone 6a)

It was beautiful. Do you remember how it tasted?

McLean, VA(Zone 6b)

How do you make violet jelly?

Northeast Harbor, ME

Anyone remember violet candy? I've tried to cook with them but had a most unsatisfatory experience.

Quincy, IL(Zone 5b)

I had both violet chocolates and rose chocolates when I was in the UK. Honestly - they tasted like chocolate-covered perfume. Ever get a little bit of perfume spray on your tongue? That's what they tasted like! I didn't like them at all.

I assume fresh violets and roses taste better. :)

springfield area, MO(Zone 5b)

so can you eat violas and pansies, both? And violets also?

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.