Fencing

Fayette, MO(Zone 6a)

Ran out this morning to try to take some pictures before it started sleeting here. Didn't quite make it back to the house before it started.. But, nevertheless..

Lots of my time last year was spent on building fence. I will never been done with this project. I learned lots and have lots still to learn.

Thought I might post a picture or two of my corner posts.

Robert, This fence was built with big simmental cattle in mind.. Also I am not finished.. But since you were talking about fence in one of your threads. The center post is about six feet tall .. I dug my post holes by hand.

Thumbnail by KathyJo
Goldthwaite, TX(Zone 8a)

Kathy,
I don't envy you the task of putting in post like that. When I was a teenager we put in cedar posts that size, and it is no fun!
Here are a couple of corner and gate posts in one of this years fences.
Most of the pipes were driven in four feet, but you can see the concrete around one which would not drive, so was set four feet in concrete. The nine wire fences will hold any livestock- goat, cows sheep and hogs. Will also keep coyotes from crossing unless they can find a spot to dig under.
These are 2 3/8 pipe, since these were in short stretches.. Corners for long sections are 2 7/8 pipe.
These posts are 5 feet tall.
Robert

Thumbnail by patrob
Goldthwaite, TX(Zone 8a)

Gate post near the corner

Thumbnail by patrob
Fayette, MO(Zone 6a)

I have seen some of this type of fencing around here. I hadn't stuidied it enough to know what the wire is .. So this isn't an electric type of fence?

And is this the fence that you said professionals put up?

It looks very nice and neat.

Goldthwaite, TX(Zone 8a)

No electric at all. Just nine four point barbs stretched very tight and fastened every 12 feet.
We have 3 fencing companies in our county, and a couple of ranchers who fence on a part-time basis. Just tell them what you want and where, and bring money. Latest trend is the high fence which will controll deer. Importing larger deer or buying large bucks to raise larger deer for the hunters is a real business, both for the full time and hobby ranchers.
Robert

Baker City, OR(Zone 5b)

Good job, Kathy Jo. Moving even small amounts of earth to make a posthole is a lot of work.

Patrob, can you show us how the wire is attached to the posts? It looks like a fence that will be pretty much maintenance free for a long time. Coyote and deer control, YES!

Fayette, MO(Zone 6a)

Another reason I think your fence is so nice Robert is how it seems to blend in with the scenery.

Do these guys have spot welders to do this?

I wish I had the money to hire some of my work done.. But it also gives me a feeling of accomplishment when I do something.

I had to dig my holes and drop these large posts in using the hydraulic lift and log chain on my tractor.

Goldthwaite, TX(Zone 8a)

Mary,
The wire is attached to the end posts by wrapping it around the post twice, and then wrapping around the wire like a telephone splice. It is attached to the t-posts with the standard clips which come with the posts. The wire is fastened to the line pipe posts (every tenth line post is a pipe instead of a tpost) with a light guage galvanized wire. This is not a deer fence- those are eight feet high, made with 4 inch mesh wire, and some add a barb on top. Deer fence is expensive - about $3.15 a runnung foot, depending on how many gates and corners there are.
Kathy, the professionals usually have a trailer with a welder on it that they tow with a fw drive PU, or with a tractor if it gets really rough. They usually have a compressor to use with a jackhammer or post driver as well. On especially rocky spots, they drill a hole with the jackhammer and then push in the tpost with the driver.
Yes they sort of dissapear from a distance when the grass is green.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.