Emergency Veggie Seeds!

Timberlea, NS(Zone 6a)

Ok, I thought I had everything I'd need in case of an emergency, but I guess I haven't been thinking far enough ahead:

http://www.mvseeds.com/gardencan.html

Here I was thinking canned food and bottle water were adequate emergency supplies. It never occurred to me to have a "disaster" seed cache! ☺

Rhonda

Palo Alto, CA

Um, okay. I store my seeds in a cool, dry place in my garage (it helps that it rarely gets too cold or humid here), and I've had good success sprouting them after 1-2 years. Which seems adequate for most gardening needs: if civilization is destroyed to that extent I won't have the water to grow them anyway.

Murfreesboro, TN(Zone 7a)

Interesting idea; I live out in a rural area and am always looking for emergency preparedness info.

Quincy, MA(Zone 6b)

i have a large quantity of asarum europeaum seed in the fridge.

this will no doubt be a great comfort when they drop the big one.

LOL!

Timberlea, NS(Zone 6a)

this will no doubt be a great comfort when they drop the big one.

That's kinda what I was thinking. ☺

I can't imagine, really, the kind of disaster that require this sort of planning. I mean, if all sources for procuring seeds were wiped out, then how likely would it be that there would actually be anyone around to plant seeds?

Rhonda

Palo Alto, CA

I can't imagine, really, the kind of disaster that require this sort of planning. I mean, if all sources for procuring seeds were wiped out, then how likely would it be that there would actually be anyone around to plant seeds?

If I were a commercial grower I could see storing some seeds under controlled conditions in case my warehouse or nursery burned down, or got flooded, or blew away or whatever. Or if I were the only grower of some rare variety. It seems like a good idea to have some of my inventory in a safe place. But common garden-variety veggies?

I noticed the company is based in Utah. IIRC, there are a lot of Mormons who believe in keeping a year's supply of food and drink available at all times - many these canned seeds are being marketed to that group.

Could be marketing to my DH, too.
:-P
For Y2K we had 6 months supply of everything (including toilet paper). Now that we've moved to a rural area, he's even more "Emergency Preparedness" oriented. Our dogs caught/ate a jack rabbit the other day, so he said not to worry about the dogs getting fed if the world goes kaput! It is on-going entertainment being married to this man (going on 17 years), but he does have a tractor, a radial arm saw (I think that's what it's called), a plasma tourch and welder, and didn't say a word when I said that somehow I ended up with 30 tomato plants and don't know where they came from :-) So, I guess putting up with his idiocyncracies (sp!) and his periodic summer camp trips to Iraq are worth it, if just for the fence-building, tomato cage bending, tree-hole digging, water-pipe laying aspects of things! I guess that's what I get for marrying a Marine just so I could see him in his Dress Blues :-)

Noblesville, IN(Zone 5a)

Reminds me of the coffee pot story. The $50,000. coffee pot works if the air pressure is lost in the airplane. Who cares at the point.

Mantua, UT(Zone 4b)

I hope I can clarify this without getting into a religious discussion.

I think the idea with the seeds is that if they are sealed in a can where the air has been evacuated and the can is stored in a cool place the seeds will last longer.

As a matter of preparedness for minor disasters such as losing a job or having huge medical bills we are cautioned to stay out of debt and have a year's supply of food and money. It helps to be self-sufficient and not add to a stressed economy if we can take care of ourselves. All the preparedness in the world may not be enough for huge disasters.

It's kind of fun to tell my husband that I am buying seeds because we are advised to. He thinks I've used that excuse too many times. He's right!

Victorville, CA

I think the thought is that "if" there was a disaster AND "if" you were still alive AND there were no government agencies or grocery stores open to supply you food or medicines YOU would have to fend for yourself. Not that I am a survival nut or anything but those thoughts have crossed my mind a time or two. Look at Texas just a few short months ago. Some of those people had no electric or phone or gasoline to be able to get to a store that was open for weeks on end. People waited in line for a whole day just to get food. I think the animals would be alright but it would be my kids that I would want to keep fed.
-Juli

Union City, CA(Zone 9b)

mine is to keep water , 2 blankets and a bag of hard candy in car .
In the house , we keep beans , rice , flour , botteled water and juice in case the big earthquake hits . We use what we have and when we get to half way point restock - IE down to 10 lbs beans - buy 25 lbs more . Now with bird flu , we have 5 packages of frozen chicken in frezzer .
I give relatives a clone of plants I like and say - this are in case mine die .

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.