Winter Damaged Iris Foliage

Central, KY(Zone 6b)

Hi folks,
I'm a daylily addict so Iris are new to me, forgive the newbie question :-)
This is how most of my iris look right now. Will I need to take scissors and cut the damaged part off, after if warms up some more, or will this winter damaged foliage die back completely so it can be pulled off?
Thanks,
Vicki

Thumbnail by sadie_mae
Sand Springs, OK(Zone 7a)

i do ,
they look nicer at bloom time

Norwood, MO(Zone 6a)

I usually cut the damaged part off in the spring so the new growth is pretty. Today I spent time in the iris bed, trimming, and tidying them up.... can't wait for blooms... I bought a few iris from Blue J Iris last summer and I am waiting to see the first blooms... Hope they have another good sale this year... 2006 is looking up for me... and gardening saves my sanity.. lol... Nice to see you again, Vicki, I am been away awhile.... Starr

Lewisburg, KY(Zone 6a)

Hi, VIcki
I cut mine back if it looks badly. I have several that after that 70plus weather are beginning to show new growth! I hope at least a few of my new ones will bloom this Spring.

I wish you could go to the Nashville Garden Show. I am taking my camera so I may make a thread later about the trip.
Teresa

Central, KY(Zone 6b)

Thanks ladies, I'll trim them up after it warms up some more, I think it's supposed to be in the 20s again tonight.....I am so ready for spring!!!

Hi Starr, nice to see you around again. I added several more Iris last year but they were small so I don't know how many I'll see this year. I do have 5 or 6 that are going on their 2nd summer so I hope to at least see them.

Hey Teresa, do be sure and take lots of pics, I'd love to see what all goes on at a show that size.
Vicki

Lewisburg, KY(Zone 6a)

VIcki, I have new batteries and an extra memory card. I plan on starting a thread in Mid South Gardening or somewhere. I am so excited.

Teresa

Central, KY(Zone 6b)

Good! Let me know when you do.

Greenfield, IN(Zone 5a)

Do you remove the whole leaf or just the burnt tips? Rachel

Deer River, MN(Zone 3b)

If you live in an area with iris borers (IN yes; KY I'm not sure about), it's best to remove and destroy (do NOT compost) all overwintered foliage before temps reach 70 degrees and let the plants start fresh in the spring. That way you eliminate most of the borer eggs that have overwintered on the foliage before they have a chance to hatch.

If you live in an area with no borers, it's best to remove only dead, dying, diseased, and damaged leaves or parts of leaves. Allow any healthy, green leaves or parts of leaves to remain on the plant to continue to feed it.

Laurie

Greenfield, IN(Zone 5a)

thank you for the information Laurie

Central, KY(Zone 6b)

Thanks Laurie. I found a KY Iris site and apparently we do have borers. They recommended cutting all iris foliage back to 6" in very early spring.

Coshocton, OH(Zone 6a)

after cutting the old foliage off is their something you can put on your irises to make sure there is no borers or eggs?

belinda

Deer River, MN(Zone 3b)

I apply Merit (imidacloprid) granules in early spring at a rate of 1 tsp/clump just as iris growth starts. It is a long-acting, systemic insecticide that works very well against borers in my iris beds. I purchase it as Bayer Advanced Lawn Season Long Grub Control. It works best if you scratch it into the surface of the soil and water it in well.

Timing is key. If you wait too long to apply it, the borer larvae will have gotten too large to be killed by it. Apply it early.

Laurie

Coshocton, OH(Zone 6a)

thanks, laurie!

Lewisburg, KY(Zone 6a)

VIcki, could you post a link that you found about KY Iris?

Thanks

Central, KY(Zone 6b)

Here ya go Teresa, they're in Northern KY.

http://kyrainbowiris.org/iris.a/module/Default/action/Pages/page/HowToGrow

I tried to find the Bluegrass Iris Society but the must not have a web site.

Cedar Rapids, IA(Zone 5a)

Trimming my iris in 50 degree spring weather is a way I can get "down & dirty" without doing any damage. Scissors, gloves & my Yardy cart are a must. If I do it nice & early, the daylilies & other perennials are still sleeping. Cleans up the beds & gets me in the mood for spring.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.