2006 We've got the Blues!

Archer/Bronson, FL(Zone 8b)

Wow! I went back 2 pages and found no "Blues" for this year. So I shall start them. Since my property is new, my gardens are new and my plants are new this is what we have to start. These are the cooler weather blooms.

First is delphinium of the first kind.

Thumbnail by MollyMc

The other delphinium

Thumbnail by MollyMc

Blue Eyed Grass

Thumbnail by MollyMc

Salvia

Thumbnail by MollyMc

I forget, but it's blue, even through our last freeze!

Thumbnail by MollyMc

I think these are Johnny Jump Ups.

Thumbnail by MollyMc

It's March 2. My first winter in Zone 8/9. Do you have the Blues?

Molly
:^)))

south of Grand Rapid, MI(Zone 5a)

I've got the 'green' (envy that is)

Sarv, you should come on down. I was just sitting out by the pond. I DO have my sweater on but it is lovely out there. You can see all the stars. The moon can't decide if it wants to be a quarter or a sliver.

I startled Darius when I walked in out of the dark and set the flood light sensor off. The lights are a little rude of a sudden, but helps you find your way home in your slippers.

Molly

St. Peter's, PE(Zone 6a)

Molly,
Your pics are fantastic. The only blue I get to see right now is the sky on a sunny day. All my gardens are still snow covered. It will be another month before I start to see any life in them. But blue is one of my favorites in the garden. So til then I will live vicariously thru your pics. Keep them coming!
Michelle

somewhere, PA

Molly - thanks for sharing your blues. And is the one mystery pic an anemone perhaps?
I need to grab the camera - we had an ice storm last night and the trees are just glistening.
Clearly no green here either!
Tam

Tam, That unknown is either a viola or an annual. I haven't purchased an anemone in a couple years and that yard was 350 miles from here. I needed color that week and bought a bunch of flowering plants from one of the home stores.

Those are the blue this week. Other flowers are starting to bud up. We are hoping no more freezes this year. The locals tell us that it's quite unpredictible when last frost is.

Molly
:^))))

Beachwood, OH

the unknown is a viola - look at the leaves. Wow you must be a bluesy person!
Hardy har har
Thanks for your pics on this icy am
alyrics

Rockford, IL(Zone 4b)

Woooo hooo - Thanks Molly for starting the Blues thread! It was one of my favorites last year. The only blues I have now are mental because I can't play in the garden yet.

Stacy

Rockford, IL(Zone 4b)

I have some Demin Blue Violas in my wintersowing project. I haven't tried them before, but I'm keeping my fingers crossed

Yep, Good, it's a viola. I did get several of those that first plant buying trip. Great for color and none of them have been bothered by a mere 17 degrees occasionally.

I know what you mean by the winter blues. This will be my first one in 30 years or so. Having lived in S Florida for so long, nothing went dormant so it's an adjustment for me here.

And I can't wait til true spring so everything starts greening up and I can see where the real shady and sunny spots will be.

I still have some plants in a holding bed that I brought north with me. So many I can't ID right now because they are dormant. I know there is some blue porterweed in there though!!!!
Molly
:^)))))

Rockford, IL(Zone 4b)

LOL Molly! I can't imagine considering zone 9b "north". It's 21 here right now, with a high of 35 and possible flurries.

I put in a LOT of plants last year, and re-did two beds. Three more beds are on the to-do list for this year. All the clearing work I can get done in the cold weather is done. I'm antsy for spring, both to see the fruits of last years labor and to get started on this year's projects!

Stacy,

As you already may know, we weren't even here last year and everything is new.

Matter of fact, I need to get out to the veggie garden today to clear some more ground for seed planting before it gets too hot.

Molly

Minneapolis, MN(Zone 4b)

Too Hot, not fair. As I look out my window watching people walking their dogs in the park they are so bundled up I don't know how they can see. It is 24º and windy.

Rockford, IL(Zone 4b)

Molly - yes. I've been seeing pics of all the projects you've both worked so hard on. How great to be able to see some results now that spring is coming!

Taylor Creek, FL(Zone 10a)

Oh Molly I'll have to direct Jeremy over here, he's blue prone and I'll see what I have for you too.
Sidney

Fort Worth, TX(Zone 8a)

Here is my only blue so far this year. This is Speedwell.

Fort Worth, TX(Zone 8a)

Well I forgot the picture, I will try again!
This is Speedwell

Thumbnail by Sheila_FW

Sheila,

I love those. Thanks for bringing them in.

Molly

Rockford, IL(Zone 4b)

Shiela - which Speedwell is that? It looks like Waterperry Blue. I put in a few of those last year - hope they look as nice as your come spring!

Fort Worth, TX(Zone 8a)

All my tag had was Speedwell when I purchased it, but it is the same as this one in PF.
http://davesgarden.com/pf/go/76872/index.html

I am sure it is the Creeping Veronica, Speedwell 'Georgia Blue' (Veronica peduncularis)

This message was edited Mar 6, 2006 7:30 AM

Rockford, IL(Zone 4b)

Very pretty, whichever one it is!

crossville, TN(Zone 7a)

Molly I will be sending so "pink" your way in a couple of weeks. Can't be too 'gender' baised ya know;)

Tina

Tina, That's great to hear and there's no gender bias here. I love all the colors.

But for the subject line, here's one of Darius' sibs blooming. Cheating a little from blue, but beautiful just the same.

Molly

Thumbnail by MollyMc
Olympia, WA

When spring arrives - Lithodora and Camassia quamash (Camas lily) can join the blue parade.....as does the Vinca minor, which IS already in bloom.

Sebastopol, CA(Zone 9a)

Oh, great, Molly. I love blue flowers.

I've had 46 inches of rain this year, so my garden is still a wet and soggy place and is not a place I want to linger, but here's a nice blue Primula I noticed today on a rare trip to the back of the garden.

Thumbnail by Zuzu

Very pretty Zuzu, you should send some of that rain this way.

I'm not sure when our "rainy season" gets here, but right now we water everything!

Rockford, IL(Zone 4b)

Yipeeeee! Took this shot this morning. This is waaay early, I think. I just planted these last fall.

Thumbnail by sstateham
Minneapolis, MN(Zone 4b)

Lovely!!!!

Rockford, IL(Zone 4b)

Now I have to figure out which one it is lol

Taylor Creek, FL(Zone 10a)

Does that put a smile on your face or not? It is so pretty and such a flirt for the oncoming spring.
Sidney

Rockford, IL(Zone 4b)

No kidding! I've been outside three times today just to go look at them! Two more bloomed today, for a total of 6. Wooo hooooo!!

Hillsboro, OH(Zone 6a)

Iris reticulata? Aren't they pretty?!?!

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

Pulmonaria longifolia ''Dordogne''.
My favorite Pulmonaria and an electric blue.

Ric

Thumbnail by henryr10
Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

It must be Spring here.

Thumbnail by henryr10

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.