poor blooming lantana

I have 2 lantana plants that are just full of buds.
However, only some of the tiny flowers open and never all. And the tiny blooms fall off prematurely resulting in pathetic, skimpy "bouquets" of flowers. Any idea on what's going on? The plants seem to have hardly grown since i planted them a month ago.
I've give them some fertilizer, but not much as they prefer the poor soil.
They get some (but not all of) of their water from our aerobic septic system's sprinklers. Surely that water is not stunting their growth & affecting their blooming, or is it?
Thanks in advance!

Actually, I'm more intrigued with your aerobic septic systems sprinklers, this is a new one on me! How does this system work?

In any event, Lantana DEMAND full sun nearly all day in order to bloom well. If yours in a shady area that's likely your problem.

Brasstown, NC

What color is the Lantana? The gold give the best and most consistant flowering. I have 3 plants and two of them continued to flower all summer - one stopped and now for no reason is blooming away. They are very drought tolerant and really love to bake in the sun. The ones with mixed colors don't flower as well as the solids.

Toadsuck, TX(Zone 7a)

Smoo, my Dallas Reds are way surpassing the Gold, and the
Heather is the laggart.

Jerrie

Cave Spring, GA(Zone 7a)

I agree with Jerseyguy. Lantanas demand full sun. I learned my lesson last year. I had a trailing lavender that I planted in the shade, and it didn't bloom 1 time. Linda

Riverhead, NY(Zone 7a)

All Lantana lovers can check out a great site www.PatriotLantana.com and yes Lantana prefer full sun but in certain areas in the summer it can tolerate some shade. They do like fertilizer and pruning helps promote more growth and blooms.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.