favorite carrots

Panama, NY(Zone 5a)

Carrots don't get mentioned a lot, and I was thinking about my favorite carrots last night, while eating an organic bought in the produce department carrot. This allegedly healthy carrot didn't taste substantionally different from the non-organic bought in the produce department carrots that I picked up last time and made me yearn for a good 6 inch long one inch diameter Mokum like we were eating last summer. I do have some Yellowstone out in the potatoe tub yet, and go out and pull one every now and then just to remind myself what a REAL carrot tastes like. I discovered quite by accident that Yellowstones keep their flavor and crunch right through the winter and when the dirt is loose enough to pull one, I take full advantage of this lovely trait.

So, what are your favorite carrots?

Shenandoah Valley, VA(Zone 6b)

Kathleen, we liked Little Finger last year, but now I have to try Yellowstone. When you say the potato tub, do you mean a root cellar setup? Is it an outdoor container filled w/ soil/sand that you transferred harvested carrots to, and is it in sun or shade? Sorry for all the questions...

Panama, NY(Zone 5a)

It's an old bathtub that I grew potatoes and carrots in last summer and it's sitting out in the side yard in full sun/snow (depending on the day!). I just left them where they grew, which is apparently what they were bred for. They are a pale yellow, by the way, and now about a foot long and a couple inches around and still taste sweet, both raw and cooked.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.