Sweet peas climb w/ cukes?

Beachwood, OH

I didn't want to hijack the other sweet pea threads with my questions so pardon me for starting yet another sweet pea thread. BTW - I've seeded sweet pea under Buddleia and let it climb the branches and just do what it wanted - its gone long before the Buddleia blooms.

I have such limited sun in my yard and I want to do some container vegetables this year. I was thinking the early sweet peas might be pretty while the cucumbers and tomatos were getting going.

But here's are my questions. Are you able to grow sweet peas in part shade?
Have you ever Winter-sowed sweet peas? I've read they don't like to be transplanted. But I've had some problems with plants after germination because of my mostly part-sun/shady yard. They don't do much without sufficient sun to get them going.

How big of a root system do the sweet peas have? - so how much competition would they be in a container?

Do you think I could set a tomato cage or an obelisk into a big planter and grow cucumbers and sweet peas together? I was thinking the sweet peas would just give a little color and not enough foliage to shade the cukes.

San Diego, CA(Zone 10b)

well there pretty easy to pull out, i pull mine out when im ready for dahlias when it starts to really warm up. Mine are in part shade.
I think that this size of the plant would make a difference with root system, some get huge.

Beachwood, OH

steph_gem, Hi, I'm glad to hear about root system - that should be comparable for us despite zone differences. I bought Burpee's Cucumber Picklebush which is advertised as being an ideal compact plant for containers.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.