Vines for Sunset Zone 13?

Chandler, AZ(Zone 9b)

Looking for ideas to cover a lot of block wall in AZ. Exposures are north, east, and south. Cat's Claw is out.....too invasive. I have a climbing fig which should do ok, but looking for other alternatives. As you might imagine, summers are sizzling. Flowers are a plus, but not a must. Any suggestions?

Lake Havasu City, AZ(Zone 10a)

I have a Phaseolus Caracalla (Snail Vine) planted against a wall that gets the hot sun all day long. It covered the wall in one season and has flowered most of the year.

Chandler, AZ(Zone 9b)

Thanks Sharon. I've seen those but always shied away because they alway's look so "ratty".
I know it's probably just the container grown look but... how do they look once they get going? Is it a dense vine? does it die back in winter?

It's a dense vine and has stayed green and flowered all winter, although not as profusely as in the summer. I'll take a picture tomorrow so you can get an idea what it looks like.

Here's a picture of my snail vine. I planted it last summer and it started as just one small plant so you can see how fast and quickly it grows. As I mentioned it gets full sun all day long.

Thumbnail by sharonf
Chandler, AZ(Zone 9b)

Any probems with wasps nesting behind the vines or other bug related problems?

No Problems with wasps but I did have some ants at one point last summer. When the temps got around the 120 and over mark I got some leaf yellowing and a little leaf drop, but not much and it soon recovered.

Crossville, TN

This looks like an intersting vine...would it survive our winters here near Sierra Vista....we do get some freezes someitmes...like NOW! Jo

I don't have a freezing problem here, but I'm told that if this vine freezes in the winter you can just cut it back and it will recover in no time. Being a fast grower, it catches up fast when the weather turns warm.

Gilbert, AZ

Does this vine need a trelllis?
Thanks
Linda@mygarden.com
I do see you have it on one.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.