radishes...again

Auburn, AL(Zone 8a)

Ok another year another try at radishes...I'm getting all leaf and no radish. Any suggestions?

Bethelridge, KY(Zone 6a)

Sounds like too much nitrogen, when/if you fertilize try not adding any. ☺

Auburn, AL(Zone 8a)

I didn't fertilize it and it's in a potting soil that doesn't have additives...

Southern Mountains, GA(Zone 6b)

Make sure they get plenty of water and aren't too crowded. I've never tried them anywhere except in the ground but I doubt they would like transplanting at all.

Auburn, AL(Zone 8a)

I don't transplant and they have water...I'm starting to think the lill snots don't like good soil and I should just toss a handfull of seeds in some crummy dirt out front!

Augusta, GA(Zone 8a)

That is probably a good idea. Radishes are one of the easiest things to grow. You may be fussing over them too much. If you use a fertilizer try one that has a high K number like 5 -10-15.

Auburn, AL(Zone 8a)

wonder if the DH would fall for me buying some from the store and then burying them in the ground...humm

San Antonio, TX(Zone 8b)

Try growing Daikons, too. They can get quite large, but are a bit milder in flavor. And they can be cooked. I like them especially mashed with potatoes. Also good shredded with carrots (raw in salads or cooked in casseroles).

Miami, FL(Zone 10b)

C'mon Saint! I know you can grow a dumb little radish. Just plant the seeds in the dirt, thin 'em out and water them every now and then and wait. If I can grow them, you can.
Flip

Claremore, OK(Zone 6a)

I dunno, I tried them last year and got the same thing. All leaf and a skinny little root, no radish. I don't know what happened. I used to grow them quite well where we lived before. But here, no way. Must be the soil, or variety. Quite frustrating to not be able to grow a "radish" for pete's sake.
I did get some seeds called "Lady Slippers" that grew and were the prettiest, smoothest pink shaded radishes I've ever seen. And good mild flavor too. Although they didn't get very big, they grew better. Ordered them from Scheepers Kitchen Garden Seeds on the net. Good luck.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.