Viburnum 'Summer Snowflake' growth

Sterling, VA(Zone 6b)

I recently uploaded the following picture to PlantFiles:
http://davesgarden.com/pf/showimage/100653/

I started typing this thread to question the odd growth of this specimen...it seems so unlike the horizontal branching that I associate with Viburnum plicatum var. tomentosum. I broke down and ran an internet search and it looks like this is the typical behavior of this shrub.

Here is a quote from this page: http://www.arhomeandgarden.org/plantoftheweek/articles/Summer_Snowflake.htm

Quoting:
In the typical cultivar, the plant is as broad as it is tall with the limbs arranged in horizontal layers. But in ‘Summer Snowflake,’ a selection released from the University of British Columbia Botanic Garden, the plant is decidedly tall and skinny. It can grow as tall as 15 feet but with a spread of only 6 feet.

Any other comments on this shrub? With a spread of only 6 ft...maybe I do have room to add in a few more Viburnums!!

- Brent

Presque Isle, WI(Zone 3b)

Brent, how old is this plant? It actually exceeds the height of my largest resident deer. There may be hope for one of V2 beloveds on Middleton farm as yet.

Beautiful, BC(Zone 8b)

Yes, that sounds about right. Sometimes 'Summer Snowflake' will be a bit wide but I like using it in design close to the house. I wish I had known as I could have taken a few pics at the botanical gardens earlier today.

Sterling, VA(Zone 6b)

The picture is from a plant growing a the Norfolk Botanical Garden , so I don't really have an idea of how old it is. It took me a long time to get around to uploading the photos...so the shrub is not fresh in my mind. I would guess that it was 10 to 12' tall. I uploaded a few other Viburnum photos as well (2 are still "pending")

- Brent

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

I'll post pictures tomorrow too. Mine is about 8' high and at best 4' wide. Decidedly more tall than narrow. However, although the lateral growth does not extend very wide (like Shasta), lateral branching is still fairly horizontal. This becomes more apparent over time, especially in winter.

I have found that Viburnum plicatum tomentosum is left alone by deer...even in densely, densely populated deer pasture! They just won't touch it.

Most references will cite that "Watanabei" and "Summer Snowflake" are the same plant. My own experience agrees.

Two years ago, a cool and rainy summer made for a "Summer Snowflake" that literally NEVER stopped blooming, from May to frost. It was beautiful. Last year, hot and dry, blooming was intermittent, and flowers were smaller.

Mine has rarely produced any fruit, which isn't too surprising since all the other V. plicatum tomentosum cultivars only bloom for a week in the spring.

One bad note: this plant stinks. Smells like old socks. Everytime I walk past it, it is like, "Whew! Please!" I think the smell comes from decaying flower petals, but I'm not sure.

Scott

Let's see now. Invasive in MD, odor like smelly socks. Methinks that V2 has been hiding the "bad seed" from us.

Sterling, VA(Zone 6b)

Invasive in Maryland? Viburnum plicatum? I know that it is not native. Maybe you are thinking of Viburnum dilatatum.

- Brent

Elburn, IL(Zone 5a)

I think Watanabei and Summer Snowflake started out different, and have been mixed up enough now to become one. Gene Coffman, my 85 year old Viburnum mentor, gave me a Watanabei, and I asked about it vs. Summer Snowflake. He said this was the "real thing", and it grows differently, and is hardier than Summer Snowflake. I have both now, so I will let you know in a few years.

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

Bent Nova, I agree. Viburnum dilatatum is the wild one in Maryland.

Kenyan 5, Does your "Watanabei" seem more upright, like "SS"?

Scott

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

Here are the promised photos. This first one is the plant in general. I think we've had our plant for about three years, maybe four.

Scott

Thumbnail by Decumbent
Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

Oops. Okay that first picture is lateral branching detail. You can see that although the laterals are short, they are flat. I'm hoping that as the plant matures, this trait will be exemplified.

This next picture is of the plant's overall form. I have pruned the plant a little, but nothing that would change its overall character.

Scott

Thumbnail by Decumbent
Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

Sorry, the details of the shot are not the greatest. In looking at the picture, I'm wondering if the plant is taller than 8'. It looks like it could be. I've also noted that this shrub seems to be a favorite nesting plant for birds. Every year it has got a nest in it.

Scott

Selma, NC(Zone 7b)

Now that would be a great shrub to put in my perennial bed. Maybe I don't need a tree. How do y'all think it would fare in full sun in 7b? I had read that this one is more sun tolerant than Shasta.

Shari

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

Hi Chamois,

Mine is in full sun in zone 6. Dirr lists the species (V. plicatum tomentosum) to zone 8, but then says: "In Zone 8 the plant is spectacular in April and May but heat and drought of the summer often induce marginal leaf necrosis; some shade and supplemental water are recommended in the south.

My Shasta is in afternoon shade and performs well even without supplemental watering, although it sometimes gets it. I planted Mariessii last year for someone else, even with shade and supplemental water that plant wilted all summer long. I hope it does better this year. The best Shasta I've ever seen was in absolute full shade and it was HUGE. At least 20' wide and I don't know how high. That was in zone 5, and that plant never got any irrigation. I'm not sure how well it bloomed in the shade like that.

I suspect that Summer Snowflake may indeed do a bit better in full-sun than the others, just from my anecdotal experience growing it. Mine is in full sun, does not receive much irrigation, sits in fairly poor soil, and has never shown any signs of stress. Like I said before, it did bloom much better in a very mild and wet summer.

Scott

This message was edited Mar 3, 2006 9:47 AM

Sterling, VA(Zone 6b)

BTW Scott..those would be great photos to add to PlantFiles as well...especially the second one. We all love to snap close-up pictures of flowers but I find the pictures that are the most useful to me are the ones that show the off season characteristics...how does this plant look when it is not in bloom?...in the winter?...etc.

- Brent

Good point. Many of us, zone 5 and less have almost 6-7 months without leaves. Winter intrest, including structure is of major importance. Ken

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

I'll try to figure out how to do that.

Scott

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.