March daily weather, In like a Lamb.

Taylor Creek, FL(Zone 10a)

Well, March has hopped in here and hope you will all post here.
It's 60º and sunny. It got down to 43º last night. Here is Mother's flowering Crabapple bush doing it's crow for spring back in Charlotte.
Sidney

Thumbnail by sugarweed
Alexandria, IN(Zone 6a)

40° and cloudy here-- about 34°low
March has come in like a lamb.

Moab, UT(Zone 6b)

at some point between dark and daylight we had we recieved about a tenth of an inch of moisture. didn't realize it till I went outside just moments ago.

posted this earlier:
Okee Dokee, Mother Nature, it's March now... time to settle down to spring - You hear me?? It IS dead still out there this morning. As tho the wind never blew at all. And the tarpaper on the roof is replaced and stapled in place despite the mean winds of yesterday.

Janett, I am surprised to learn there is a filter that will remove gasoline residue from the water... doesn't help with the background vapors that are around coming from the ground... but wonderful that you don't have to move immediately to be safe. Sounds like Swedens's laws are more on the citizen's side than the oil company's - that's good.

We were 37 this morning... two days in a row above freezing for a low.
Supposed high is 60* and that will be just fine, and no wind. poss 6mph breeze later on. Will take this as an overture from MN - spring is on the way.

L.A. (Canoga Park), CA(Zone 10a)

It's a lamb here, too. Glad to hear that things are working out for you, Janett.

Updated: 10:51 AM PST on March 01, 2006
Observed At: Van Nuys, California
60 °F / 16 °C
Clear
Humidity: 51%
Dew Point: 42 °F / 6 °C
Wind: Calm
Pressure: 30.11 in / 1020 hPa
Visibility: 10.0 miles / 16.1 kilometers
UV: 6 out of 16
Clouds: Clear -
(Above Ground Level)

Thumbnail by Kelli
Rocky Mount, VA(Zone 7a)

70.9°, 49% - I messed up and stopped at the garden center at LOWES on the way home, I am now the proud onwer of about 5 years worth of seed starting stuff and really broke.

So.App.Mtns., United States(Zone 5b)

LOL, Dyson. Welcome to the club!

Moose Jaw, SK(Zone 3b)

-8°C
Overcast. Light snow.
FEELS LIKE -17°C
WIND NW 28 km/h
GUSTS 41 km/h
RELATIVE HUMIDITY 85%
DEWPOINT -10°C
PRESSURE 101.39 kPa
VISIBILITY 9.7 km
CEILING 3700 ft

I had a *bit* of a surprise last week. Discovered the nasty way my gallbladder was full to bursting. Just got out after having 2 surgeries (one to remove a hot potato and the other to remove wayward stones). It is SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO good to be at HOME (and @ DAVE's;),

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

Owie!!! We're so glad you are back, Lilypon. Gallbladder attacks are NO fun!!

It's been a gorgeous day here! It was mostly sunny and 81° this afternoon. I got a lot of weeding and pruning done while my little bunny (2.5 year old daughter) splashed in a little wading pool and wrote on the driveway in chalk. I got my first ant bite of the year. (grumble grumble...)

Currently:
Partly Cloudy 78°F (26°C)
Humidity: 50 %
Wind Speed: S 13 MPH
Barometer: 29.91" (1013.4 mb)
Dewpoint: 58°F (14°C)
Heat Index: 79°F (26°C)

Millersburg, PA(Zone 6b)

37 °F / 3 °C
Clear
Humidity: 48%
Dew Point: 19 °F / -7 °C
Wind: 4 mph / 6 km/h from the WNW
Pressure: 29.87 in / 1011 hPa
Windchill: 35 °F / 2 °C
Visibility: 10.0 miles / 16.1 kilometers
UV: 0 out of 16
(Above Ground Level)

Beautiful day in Pa., a little too cold with the wind blowing for much outside work.
Ice storm for tomorrow's morning rush hour.
Lilypon - you have my sympathy, been there and done that.

Moose Jaw, SK(Zone 3b)

Yep you are sooooooo right Marilyn and se_eds. Had two 12 hour long attacks (during the 2nd it went bad) and emergency surgery was done last Saturday. Demerol is a gift from GOD!

Gamleby, Sweden(Zone 7a)

((((((Lilypond))))) aoch. that must have been very painful. I hate to be hospitalised, always nag them about going home as fast as I can.

Today is a cloudy day.
Snowing, but more like dust.
30 F

Janettt

Moose Jaw, SK(Zone 3b)

Thanks Janett :) .......I'm feeling much better now and back to the regular weather channel.

5 °F / -15 °C
Scattered Clouds
Humidity: 85%
Dew Point: 1 °F / -17 °C
Wind: 5 mph / 7 km/h from the WNW
Pressure: 30.46 in / 1032 hPa
Windchill: -4 °F / -20 °C
Visibility: 15.0 miles / 24.1 kilometers

Lilypon,
So glad you came through okay. Hope you are warm and toasty and feeling all better. What an awful occurrance, but at least you have great medical care in Canada.
Observed At: Jacksonville, Florida
Elevation: 30 ft / 9 m
72 °F / 22 °C Low was 56º
Scattered Clouds
Humidity: 50%
Dew Point: 52 °F / 11 °C
Wind: 13 mph / 20 km/h from the WSW
Sidney

Moose Jaw, SK(Zone 3b)

Sidney I've seen here what you're referring too and it really bothers me what's happening in the U.S. In Canada tho we do pay dearly on our yearly Provincial/Federal income taxes and (PST/GST) to get the medical care you mention above.

Years ago we had no waiting lists and staff and patients here were very happy. Now my surgery, right after the first bout, was scheduled to be three weeks away. Not emergency but close. However after the second attack (a week and a 1/2 ago Friday) everything changed. The now emergency surgery was set for Saturday (the next morning and one of the two days the operating theatre is closed in Moose Jaw). With cuts due to the high prices of medical care here we (being the population of thecity of Moose Jaw & nearby towns.....population about 40,000) now only has 4 surgeons instead of the 8 we used to have. Specialized surgery, like my 2nd one, however is done in Regina.....which is where I went for it.

Emergencies are always done immediately however the first one could have been controlled with medicine and with the prices now it could have waited a *little* while. In Canada, elective surgery (non emergency) can have waiting lists of up to 18 months. SK with a low population is somewhat better off then provinces with higher elderly population. Saskatchewan tho, also being the birthplace of Medicare doesn't allow a two tier system.......ie. those with money in other provinces can purchase Private Practice Surgery (I hope I have the term right). So to get an elective surgery quickly those here that can pay (or those that are afraid to wait) have to go to another Province that will allow them to get in earlier and then they too pay dearly.

Wandering a bit here (on pain meds still) but you are right......given the length of my hospital stay, opening a theatre just for me, having a second surgery and no bill when I left makes me a very lucky individual. But through Provincial taxes i'll be paying it for the rest of my life (in a different way). My DH tho also pays to a health plan that allows us to get some extras too tho.

I'm sure I've left a lot out and should search sometime, if peeps are interested, for a more informed source.

This message was edited Mar 2, 2006 7:00 PM

Right now over $3,000 have been paid into my insurance plan and I still have no insurance. It's a crime for sure, but no way to change it.
Sidney

Moose Jaw, SK(Zone 3b)

Yep it is a crime. :(

Brockton, MA(Zone 6a)

Right now 28F Hi 31, low 18. light winds, cloudy. Some light snow is predicted tonight, 1 or 2 inches possible, nothing yet.

I work one day per week to pay for my HMO, ridiculous.
Andy P

Moose Jaw, SK(Zone 3b)

Found this......it's hard to sort through all the Canadian Government CANSIM pie chart tables (many available only for a fee) but maybe this will help explain?!?

Globe & Mail (Toronto, Canada), June 23, 2004 pA17 (English)

Canadian medicare, U.S. tax rates.(Comment)(Column). Mintz, Jack.

Full Text: COPYRIGHT 2004 Bell Globemedia Interactive

Byline: JACK MINTZ

Campaigning politicians have been haggling about whether Canada could afford its health-care system if taxes fell to U.S. levels. The question is hypothetical: Canada moving overnight to U.S. tax levels just isn't in the cards. Besides, all parties are bidding for votes with promises to increase federal spending on health care in the near term, while avoiding deficits. Still, the question as framed implies that any tax cuts will mean lower health spending. Is that the case?

Internationally, taxation levels and public health-care spending by industrialized governments are only weakly related. As policy analyst Yvan Guillemette and I discuss in a recent C. D. Howe Institute e-brief, high-tax countries spend somewhat more on public health care than low-tax countries, on average. But there are so many exceptions that few, if any, conclusions can be drawn about the relationship.

Austria, Belgium, Finland, Greece, Italy, Luxembourg, the Netherlands and the Slovak Republic raise far more tax revenues as a proportion of GDP than Canadian governments, and spend less on health care. By contrast, Iceland spends more on health care, while its revenue as a proportion of GDP is somewhat lower than Canada's. Australian and U.S. governments, while spending nearly as much as Canada on public health care, do so at tax levels sharply lower than ours.

So many factors influence the relationship that it's impossible to conclude that lower taxes would mean lower health-care spending. For one thing, governments have different priorities. Even if countries have the same level of taxation, they could spend quite different amounts on health care if they chose. Canadian governments, for example, spend 16 cents of each dollar (U.S.) of revenue on health care; the balance goes to such programs as education, defence and security, employment insurance and infrastructure. Ireland, with tax rates almost as low as in the United States spends only 14 cents on health care, while the United States spends close to 18 cents of each revenue dollar, similar to Germany.

For another thing, governments play different roles in providing health-care services: the more individuals have to pay from their own wallets, the less governments have to raise taxes to cover costs. Canadians assume that their government pays for all health-care costs; the reality is that Canadian governments cover about 70 per cent of total health-care spending, with the balance paid out-of-pocket or by private insurance for such things as de-listed medical services, drugs, home care and dental procedures. By comparison, many European governments, including Denmark, Germany, Sweden and Britain, with their two-tier health care, cover more than four-fifths of public-health expenditures. In fact, German public health care covers not only hospitals and physician services, as in Canada, but also dental and other costs that we leave to the private sector.

Aging causes an inverse relationship between health-care spending and tax levels: Countries spend more on health care in the final years of people's lives, when they pay fewer taxes because they earn less income. In 2001, the last year for which relevant statistics are available, 12.6 per cent of Canada's population was 65 or older. That compares favourably to Japan (18 per cent) and Sweden (17.7 per cent). Yet both countries spend less on health care than Canada.

Some governments may spend less because they have more efficient health-care systems. Sweden and Denmark, for example, achieve better health results than Canada at lower total private-public cost, even though their populations are older and more than four-fifths of their public health care is government funded, thanks to greater use of market-based incentives, including user fees. Several recent studies have shown that Canada achieves mediocre health-status results, although it is one of the highest per capita spenders on health care.

So Canadians can have a Canadian health-care system at U.S. tax rates. However, this is possible over time only if Canadians want their governments to reorder priorities and better manage their public finances. These are the choices Canadians can make at the ballot box.

Jack M. Mintz, president and CEO of the C. D. Howe Institute, is Deloitte & Touche professor of taxation, J. L. Rotman School of Management, University of Toronto.

This message was edited Mar 3, 2006 1:52 AM

Moab, UT(Zone 6b)

Now that's a mouthful

Moose Jaw, SK(Zone 3b)

Quoting:
Now that's a mouthful
Unfortunately the above article was the only recent description I could find at MJPL's online infotrac.

re CANSIM http://cansim2.statcan.ca/cgi-win/cnsmcgi.exe?CANSIMFile=CII/CII_1_E.HTM&RootDir=CII/&LANG=EI I had just recently been trained on it and am afraid I was a bit excited to try to find something that would show how a single Canadian's total tax dollars are divided up. As of yet I haven't had a patron that has requested something from it. Sorry about not explaining it (and I spelt it wrong).

This message was edited Mar 3, 2006 1:57 AM

Here it's
Observed At: Jacksonville, Florida
Elevation: 30 ft / 9 m
64 °F / 18 °C
Mostly Cloudy
Humidity: 77%
Dew Point: 57 °F / 14 °C
Wind: 8 mph / 13 km/h from the NW
Sunny.
Sidney

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

They gave me Vicodin instead of Demerol after my gallbladder attacks and surgery since I was nursing at the time. It also did a great job. :-)

It's a trifle cooler today, but nothing to complain about at all. It looks like they moved our chance of rain to next week so maybe we will have a dry weekend after all. Yayyy! :-) Next week is heavy trash pick up, too, so I can get the big bushes pruned.

Current conditions:
Overcast 70°F (21°C)
Humidity: 38 %
Wind Speed: E 14 G 20 MPH
Barometer: 30.20" (1023.2 mb)
Dewpoint: 43°F (6°C)

L.A. (Canoga Park), CA(Zone 10a)

Interesting about the Canadian health care system. It isn't as comprehensive as I think most Americans are lead to believe.

It rained about 0.2 inches overnight. I can't tell if it is done raining now or if there is more to come. If I had to make a guess, I'd say it was done.

Updated: 7:51 AM PST on March 03, 2006
Observed At: Van Nuys, California
52 °F / 11 °C
Light Rain Mist
Humidity: 93%
Dew Point: 50 °F / 10 °C
Wind: 4 mph / 6 km/h from the SSW
Pressure: 29.95 in / 1014 hPa

Gamleby, Sweden(Zone 7a)

Lilypond, When we go to the doctor or the hospital we have to pay for the paperwork to be done. it currently is 250Skr about 32$. The medications we get we pay for like this during 1years that starts from the first time you buy medc. you pay
100% up to 900Skr
50% up to 1300Skr
25% up to 1700Skr
10% up to 1800Skr
If you have kids under 18 years the top sum you ever pay to is 4300 Skr regardless of how many kids you have. When the year is over from the first buy, it starts over. 800 Skr (Swedish crowns) is currently 100$.

Today its been sunny cloudy and snowing every halfhour it has changed with other words a nutty mix.
Janett

Pahrump, NV(Zone 8b)

51F
Humidity 48%!!
Dew point 32F

Overcast and RAINING!!! Not heavy but water is falling from the sky. Yeah, I know, not exciting to you folks in the east but always a big deal here :).

So far we are already at roughly half our annual rainfall average (broke all time records last year) so this is interesting.

Brockton, MA(Zone 6a)

Morning low was 17F, high 28, now 20. NW wind at 13, gust to 36 mph, wind chill 7, dew point 1. Partly cloudy.
Had 2 inches of snow overnight. Some areas just south of here got 8 inches.
Andy P

Moose Jaw, SK(Zone 3b)

WEATHER WATCH WINTER STORM WATCH for Moose Jaw-Pense-Central Butte-Craik >>>
Crossing fingers and toes here!!!
-6°C
Partly cloudy
FEELS LIKE -13°C
WIND E 22 km/h
GUSTS 35 km/h
RELATIVE HUMIDITY 79%
DEWPOINT -9°C
PRESSURE 102.78 kPa

Janett my DH and I certainly wouldn't mind paying a set user fee at the hospital for the testing services and ER. Saskatchewan again will be the last province to do that because of Tommy Douglas and his vision of what health care should be (same health services given/available to both the rich and poor alike). http://www.mta.ca/faculty/arts/canadian_studies/english/about/study_guide/doctors/delivery.html

This message was edited Mar 3, 2006 8:03 PM

Millersburg, PA(Zone 6b)

24.7 °F / -4.1 °C
Clear
Humidity: 46%
Dew Point: 7 °F / -14 °C
Wind: 6 mph / 9.7 km/h from the NNW
Wind Gust: 25.0 mph / 40.2 km/h
Pressure: 30.09 in / 1018.8 hPa
Windchill: 18 °F / -8 °C
UV: 0 out of 16
(Above Ground Level)

Cold blustery night out there. Hoping for weather to warm up so I can tiller the garden. I like to have onions in by St, Patrick's day. Some years this does not happen. Stay warm folks.
Claire

I hate to even post, it just seems like bragging and it's so cold where everyone's posting. Have some pea sized ripe tomatoes. Trying to stage best picture for worlds smallest tomato, while it's still on the vine and red-ripe. They are pea sized.Even that tiny tomato taste good. In July and August here it's too hot for the blooms to set. This heirloom is getting ready yo have another branch buried to develop while I'm away. I keep tricking it into more roots and stems.
Spent 5 hours out today and have things that must be placed tomorrow.
Going to work in Palatka this week. Will be 7-12s for a few weeks. Will stay close to job. Don't know if I'll be online or not. Usually am and High Speed.
Sidney

Moab, UT(Zone 6b)

Sidney, I've done that with my sweet millions tomatoes too.
Lilypon, I meant that in a positive way... I could no way explain our health system
And sorry to be so late... But
It;s been a verry BLUSTERY day. And we worked our long panels onto the roof in between spasms of 28mph winds with 35mph gusts. Just worked in the pauses. I thought it had stopped but I honestly believe that just now it is gusting even harder.

Our forecast from last week was accurate as to "no expected moisture" - this has been true... except for that errant 2hundredths of an inch.... we just hadn't counted on the terror of this weeks winds... guess something always happens when one is roofing.
It was a balmy 68*s today, and totally clear skies. the storm will pass mostly to the north of us. As usual we do get the winds when it does this.

Dena, your little bit o' rain is going to slide just north of us... keep hoping.
Phoenix is 4 months and counting without a drop. ~Blooms

Gamleby, Sweden(Zone 7a)

OH I forgot one important thing when I explained our medicin cost. When you reach the top 1800Skr, the medc within th rest of that year are totallly free, my medicin bill when I was living in the capitol and needed to take medc every day for the asthma-COPD the yearly bill was around 8 000 Skr (1000$)

Cloudy with "some" sun
30 F
Janett

Moose Jaw, SK(Zone 3b)

WEATHER WATCH WINTER STORM WATCH for Moose Jaw-Pense-Central Butte-Craik >>>
-6°C
Partly cloudy
FEELS LIKE -13°C
WIND E 22 km/h
GUSTS 35 km/h
RELATIVE HUMIDITY 79%
DEWPOINT -9°C
PRESSURE 102.78 kPa
VISIBILITY 24 km
CEILING 25000 ft
Hasn't changed from yesterday. Sidney keep posting your temps we like to know that there are areas that aren't the same. ;) For us this isn't cold and spring is just about on our doorstep too now. :^)))

Ours is set up very similar to that now Janett.......not too long ago we had almost total coverage. That is why we now pay into a health plan (payments aren't too much there tho ........thank goodness).

Blooms :)

This message was edited Mar 4, 2006 9:04 AM

Moose Jaw, SK(Zone 3b)

What we are praying will be over southern Sk this afternoon.....

Thumbnail by Lilypon

Okay, just remember it's this weather that keeps us living here in spite of Hurricanes. We cooled off slightly
Observed At: Historic Springfield, Jacksonville, Florida
Elevation: 37 ft / 11 m
59.2 °F / 15 °C High expected 66º Low was 50º.
Clear
Humidity: 44%
Dew Point: 37.3 °F / 2 °C
Wind: 8.7 mph / 14 km/h from the East and gusting
They have removed the Cities I watch from weatherunderground.
Sidney

Moose Jaw, SK(Zone 3b)

No snow/rain yet but THUNDER has just been heard on the prairies here!?!?! (I've never heard it in the winter.......nor has anyone that I know of).

Heaven there now Sidney! :)

Brockton, MA(Zone 6a)

Thunder means there is lots of energy around. We had thunder last December and the nastiest 2 hour mini-blizzard I ever experienced. Hang on to your hat.
Nice day here.
Andy P

Rocky Mount, VA(Zone 7a)

53.6° (and riseing) 29% - sunny and a glorious day!

Savannah, MO(Zone 5b)

Northwestern Missouri If you click on Lilypon's map above you will see that here in north Missouri we received a little badly needed rain yesterday. Not nearly enough but it settled the dust somewhat. It's going down as one of the driest winters in parts of Missouri. Midwest spring storms may get us out of these winter dry spell doldrums I hope. Early signs of an early spring are showing on the tree buds and other places.
Today it's beautiful(60's) but a little breezy which can be typical for here in March.Have a super day everyone.

cuckoo

Brockton, MA(Zone 6a)

It's a beautiful winter day here, too. Average for a change. Low about 20F High around 40 moderate west wind and crystal clear sky.
Look what I found in the lawn this afternoon.
A super early miniature Crocus, all of 1 inch wide.
It must be Spring.
Andy P

Thumbnail by Sarahskeeper
Moose Jaw, SK(Zone 3b)

Glad you got some cuckoo.......the one above me headed up to Saskatoon. :(

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.