Seasonal big- pot planting

OSAKA, Japan(Zone 9b)

I started to plant in a big pot in a place last autumn.
The place is in the shade of a building ,so the arranging of the plants with flowers is absolutely needed.
This shows how I planted last autumn.

Thumbnail by Tomtom
OSAKA, Japan(Zone 9b)

Winter planting in a same pot.
I planted the flowering cabbages I sowed.

Thumbnail by Tomtom
Cincinnati (Anderson, OH(Zone 6a)

Hi, again, tom tom-- stunning! just as you always create your containers!

Do tell us what the plants are in the first picture, please? That couldn't be a purple petunia, could it?

I love how you used the flowering cabbages you started last year. So wonderful in that pot!

And I can't wait to see what you will do with the milkweed. I planted more asclepias seed yesterday (in anticipation of trying to copy your summer containers!) (just kidding) (-: t.

Byron, GA

Sooo artistic!. Love your pics.
Digs

OSAKA, Japan(Zone 9b)

tabasco,DigsGardening

Thank you for taking a look at my pics.

tabasco
The first pic contained:TibouchinaeCote d'Azurf,Purple Fountain Grass,
Helianthus salicifolius eGolden Pyramidfand White phlox.

I wish I could copy your coming Asclepias containers.:)

Tomtom

Ellicott City, MD(Zone 7a)

Hi, I was just looking at your plants....I love both, but especially the burgandy/purple grassy plant.....and I can't believe that's the cabbage...I know what kind it is, but I haven't seen it in a pot like that....beautiful....almost looks like a rose. Great job....keep posting pictures of current plants.
Nikki

in Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

As usual Tom Tom you do beautiful arrangements. I always enjoy your pictures.
Thanks,
Patti

Lincoln Park, MI(Zone 5a)

HI Tomtom...How big is that pot and what kind of soil and fertlizer do you use??Is the pot completely filled with soil or do you have a filler of some kind in there?Sorry about so many questions but I love your arrangement,and want to do something similar or copy it if I can...

Loretta...

tomtom--

You are very creative with the flowering cabbages. So many interesting kinds are available in Japan, but I think they are becoming more popular here each year.

I, too, am curious about the kind of fertilizer you use in your containers. Your plants are so bountiful.

Thank you again for sharing your pictures (and creative ideas). t.

Corpus Christi, TX(Zone 9a)

That is a stunning arrangement! I would love to put something like that on my porch. Is the pot outside? I can't tell for sure. It is lovely.

Laura

(Judith) Denver, CO(Zone 5b)

TomTom, where do you get your inspiration for your very artistic and beautiful containers? They belong in a book. Have you ever thought of publishing one? You are really gifted at creating beautiful arrangements in containers. How long have you been doing this?

I always look forward to whatever you post.

Thornton, IL

tom - very nice. Please tell me what the tall dark foliaged plant in the second pic is. I love creating container plantings. I saw some very inventive ones this last fall that yours reminfd me of, they used cabbages and sorrel and sages, with tall ornamental grasses (miscanthis and panicums) and pansies, plumbago and bergenia.

Tom tom your cabbages continue to 'entice' me!

Does anyone know how ornamental cabbages fair in the spring in Midwest Zone 6? I always think of them for fall plantings here, but perhaps I'm not correct? I know in Zone 9 they are winter 'flowers'-- (at least they were in our garden in CA)...

Tom tom, I often check your website for the pleasure of viewing beautiful plantings and I agree with revclaus, your creations should be published and I wonder if they are in Japan?

Sour Lake, TX(Zone 9a)

~tabasco~ I am in zone 9 and my ornamental cabbage are still doing great. I planted
several in pots and hanging baskets last winter and even with our 80+ degree
weather already this spring they are thriving. With them being in pots and baskets
I can move them to more shade as it gets hotter here. This is my first time to have
them so not sure how they will do but so far they are doing great still.

Angela

Northwest, MO(Zone 5a)

Tom Tom...as usual your planting are spectacular. Please continue to share all your talents.

Deb

Glennie, MI(Zone 5a)

Tom Tom... thanks for all your great ideas . I just bought 8 14.5 in insulated pots at a close out sale for 3.50 a piece so will have to get a few plants to go in them. Aleta

Long Island, NY(Zone 6b)

You've got my creative juices flowing - now I need the warm weather to plan them out!!!

Anita

I agree with Anita we wanna get started come on Spring,we gotta play in the dirt..!!

Loretta...

OSAKA, Japan(Zone 9b)

Thank you all for your respons.
Nikki and Patti, thank you for your sweet words. I'll post some others when they're arranged.

--------------------------------------------------------
Lovetta, the pot is 20"across and 23"tall.
I half -fill the pot with pieces of form.The soil and fertilizer are those usually available .
Wishing you success.

-------------------------------------------------------
tabasco, thank you for letting me know that flowering cabbages are getting populara in US.
They're ,I think, a paragon of the gardining material in winter. The fertilizer is only a bit of
Maganp K .It's in the shade where the pot is. You grow the cabbages well in some other places and arranges them here in the pot.

----------------------------------------------------------
4xthefun,
the pot is placed outdoors, where cold winds blow.

---------------------------------------------------------
Deb, Aleta and Anita, thanks a lot, and wishing you success in planting.

------------------------------------------------------------
tabasco and Lovetta,
I've published some . They're all in Japanese ,though.
I've been gardening for about 30 years.

-----------------------------------------------------------
PrairieGirlZ5
the tree in the secound pic is Dodonaea viscosa originally from Australia.
It could grow rapidly from seeds. It turns beautiful bronze in the fall and goes exceedingly
well with flowering cabbages.

This shows the 1-year -old Dodonaea.

Thumbnail by Tomtom

Tom Tom how do I get to your web site?I want to thank you for answering my many questions..I would love to see your other arrangments when you get them ready...

Loretta...

OSAKA, Japan(Zone 9b)

Demstratt

My homepage address is :
http://homepage1.nifty.com/heartsease/

Sorry my site is written in Japanease.
I hope you'd enjoy my pics ,though.

Ellicott City, MD(Zone 7a)

Absolutely beautiful!!! Can't we translate the language? I tried but I don't know how. It is definately art with flowers. I love the log flower boxes. Did you buy or make them?
Anyway, georgeous!!
Nikki

OSAKA, Japan(Zone 9b)

Welcome to my site,NIkki,
I made the log boxes by myself.
I place 4 plastic planters in one box
Every year I make the plan of the seasonal flower plantings.
And sow many seeds according to the plan.
I'm happy that you like them.
Thank you.

Tomtom.

Tom Tom went to your site and loved it,I just wish their was a way to translate it for us..Some of your flowers I would like to know what they are so I could purchase those..Keep up the good work..!! :o)))

Loretta....

OSAKA, Japan(Zone 9b)

Loretta,

welcome to my site!
Sorry the navigation is not in English.
You might get rough translation of my site with :
http://babelfish.altavista.com/tr
-------------------------------
Put the url of my homepage in the box of `Translate a Web page',
select `Japanese to English' ,and then push the `Translate' button.
------------------------------
Have a good time

Tomtom

Thanks Tom Tom,I just enjoyed all your flowers and containers,looked at them several times and got plenty of ideas for my flower boxes and pots...

Loretta...

Winchester, KY(Zone 6a)

Tomtom, I'm in awe of your artistry. I can't thank you enough for sharing your garden and talent through your site. I am truly inspired!
Neal.

Winnipeg, MB(Zone 4a)

Tomtom your containers are always inspiring! I luv them all!
:) Donna

San Diego, CA(Zone 10b)

Tom Tom your home page is absolutely breathtaking...
thankyou for sharing.

OSAKA, Japan(Zone 9b)

Hi everyone.

This is the early spring planting.
I planted Dodonaea, Corylopsis pauciflora(shrub),Primula sinensis,Daisy and Muscari.

Thumbnail by Tomtom
OSAKA, Japan(Zone 9b)

This is the late spring planting.
Aiming to create a Japanese atmospher of tranquility.

Thumbnail by Tomtom
Cambria, CA(Zone 10a)

Again and again, Tomtom, you just keep making them wonderful. I especially like the newest one, reminds me of calligraphy. .

(Zone 6a)

Tomtom - I've been looking at the pics of your containers and they are all gorgeous. I especially like the one you planted last fall.

Steve

(Judith) Denver, CO(Zone 5b)

How can you bear to dismantle your spring pot to plant your summer pot? I have window boxes full of pansies, snaps and stock, and just can't bring myself to pull everything up (I don't have a garden to plant them in). It's time to plant the summer flowers, but I can't seem to do it!

Thumbnail by revclaus
Cambria, CA(Zone 10a)

revclaus, boy do I know that one! I lived in an apartment with a similar deck for 19 years with nowhere to put the stuff I pulled from the pots. I'm happy to report that I now have nearly (well, not mine, I'm renting, but it works for me) 1/2 acre to tuck all little things I'm hoping to save. I just tucked all my pansies and primroses into nice shady cool spots for the summer. But with Tomtom's creations being as gorgeous as they are, I don't know that I could dismantle them either. Tough call.

Warren, MI(Zone 5a)

Tomtom, I am new to Dave's Garden and I live in Michigan, USA. You're in Japan, wow. You are truly an artist. Gardening is painting with plants in my opinion. I am so excited about this website what wonderful information and eye candy. Your pictures are incredibly inspiring. Happy planting.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.