Spring fever

Southern, CT(Zone 6a)

Okay, February, the killer month has only a few hours left. But I always found March to be a wicked tease. Every time I think Winter is gone, it comes back again and the month seems to last forever. March drives me crazy and for that reason may be my least favorite month and the worst for Spring fever.
Dave

Woodsville, NH(Zone 4a)

It seems that after being spoiled most of the winter with below average snow and warmer than normal temps our winter is just beginning.
It's 4 degrees as I type this and we are going to get snow on Thursday.
March may turn out to be a doozy.

West Warwick, RI(Zone 6b)

I agree Snowhermit, I think we will be slammed most of March.
I can't stand the wait any longer, I'm going crazy. If I don't go outside and actually garden soon, I think my head will implode.

Appleton, WI(Zone 5a)

I am very realistic about March, I know winter's not over so I take advantage of any nice days knowing bad ones will follow.

Brockton, MA(Zone 6a)

GREN, you can come by and prune my thorny Blackberries.
That's lots of fun.
Andy P

I'd love to help you out! 3am tomorrow morning sound good to you, Andy?

Long Island, NY(Zone 6b)

I think what makes matters worse is that there are so many signs of spring. The sun rises earlier and sets later. I love getting up in the morning and going home from work when it's light out. There are so many bulbs sticking their heads out. When I was at the Botanical Garden, the witch hazel was in bloom. I really have to look into plants that are considered late winter bloomers. Alot of the shrubs and trees have swollen buds that are just waiting for a bit of a warm spell and they are going to start popping.

Southern, CT(Zone 6a)

Now we will be getting significant snow! Like I said, March is a big tease.

East Moriches, NY(Zone 7a)

Anita - there are lots of Witch Hazels in bloom at the Planting Fields last weekend. We were there to enjoy the Camellia House in bloom, but it was great to walk through the grounds. It was my first visit, and well worth the drive!

Also, there were Witch Hazels in bloom at NYBG when I was there back in January! They have a truly long season, depending on variety. If you don't have one in your yard yet, you need one!

I have a couple of Daphnes out there that look like they're going to open up SOON! This is my first winter to have them, and I have high hopes.

Take care!
Jamie

Long Island, NY(Zone 6b)

Hey Jamie!!! Good to see ya! When is the tag sale? I want to order some Daphne. There were three that caught my attention at Wayside http://www.waysidegardens.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/StoreCatalogDisplay?storeId=10151&catalogId=10151&langId=-1&SearchText=daphne&mainPage=textsearchresults&RequestType=NewRequest . I want to visit the Planting Fields in the spring. The Orchid show was fantastic at the NYBG - you need to go back and see that! It's on until April 2nd

Lexington, VA(Zone 6a)

Anita - I can't believe what Wayside is selling their Daphnes for!! Stay away from 'Briggs Moonlight' - gorgeous but it's a fussy little plant and hasn't proven itself worthy for us yet.

My very favorite is D. odora 'Aureo-marginata'. Although Plant Files says it's only hardy to Zone 7
http://davesgarden.com/pf/go/79487/index.html, we found a somewhat protected spot for ours and it's thriving! It's in full bud right now and just waiting for a few more warm days to explode - usually in flower around the first of April and the fragrance is unbelievable! Plus it's evergreen and the variegated foliage is beautiful.

Long Island, NY(Zone 6b)

Debbie do you mean that they are too expensive? I love your pic - I noticed alot of pine straw, I love that look. We have the same tastes it seems. You also posted a pic of a brunnera that I adore! If you do any trading, let me know. I'd gladly pay postage or maybe you are looking for something that I might have..

Lexington, VA(Zone 6a)

LOL, yes too expensive would be one reason - but then Wayside's prices are always too much - especially considering the size of what they are sending! I'm sure you could find it cheaper elsewhere. The pine straw you saw is natural - the Daphne is planted under a canopy of pine trees :) I just read the note that sterhill posted about starting some cuttings - I need to try it! I was under the impression the only way to start it was with root layering, so hopefully I'll have some success as well. Haven't done any trading - I'm a horrible procrastinator (Scorpio :) and would probably be a lousy trader!

I'm going to try to get a picture of the Daphne in bud before it opens, which probably won't be a problem since the cold temps are back for this weekend and will stall the blooming. Almost as pretty in bud as it is when flowering!

Long Island, NY(Zone 6b)

You were right about finding something cheaper- one google search found me this http://www.whiteflowerfarm.com/61178-product.html

Southern, CT(Zone 6a)

Debbie, That is beautifull! I ordered my first daphne this year now I have to research which variety I ordered.

Beachwood, OH

Killed the expensive daphne I bought but I once happened on the biggest Carol Mackiie I've ever seen at the front door of a furniture manufacturing plant. Full bloom, could smell it from the parking lot and it was 3' across in a dry full sun location. Gave me a hint of what I did wrong. I didn't get the order but all I cared about was gazing at that shrub.

My primroses are up and budded - they already bloomed in Jan then froze again, the witchhazel Jelena still has some flowers on from January bloom, the hellebores are covered in purple flowers and all the daffs are 2-3 " high. It won't be long, just white knuckle it out. I'm getting my ya-ya's out from sowing winter-sowed seeds and reading these forums. I found the dwarf white Shasta Silver Princess yesterday that I've been looking for for 2 yrs - only 12" high. And all the plants I can sow for $1.79. And I found a dwarf bush cuke called Picklebush that I had to buy just for the name. 'specially for containers and a dwarf romaine lettuce called Little Gem.

I repotted 30 hellebore seedlings I stupidly kept in the house over the winter but it was still fun to get dirt all over the laundry room floor.

East Moriches, NY(Zone 7a)

Anita - our Tag Sale will be on Saturdays March 18 & 25. Lots of good stuff (but not plants). We have several varieties of Daphnes, too, so don't mail order until you see what we have.

NYBG is one of my favorite places, so you won't have to twist my arm to get me in to that orchid show. We're planning a trip down to Philly on Monday to see the flower show. This will be my first time, so I'm very excited.

I think the secret with Daphne is to make sure you have good drainage. They'll rot if overwatered or if their roots stay wet for too long. I always read that they liked part sun to shade, but we have a Carol Mackie at the nursery where I work that's in full sun, planted next to a stucco wall, and it's probably 6' wide and 3' deep. When it blooms the scent stops people in their tracks!

Aureomarginata in my yard is in bud, and so is Mezereum (they call it February Daphne, but it's not living up to its name!). This is my first spring with them in place, so we'll see how they do.

Potsdam, NY(Zone 4a)

All of you make me feel like I live in Siberia, and, frankly, sometimes it feels like I do! The wind is awful, but the sun is warming. Zone 4 here, so am I living in an extended Ontario, state-side? BAM

Long Island, NY(Zone 6b)

Ok-Jamie - hold a Mackie for me!!! I'll have to take a drive out on one of those Days. Dmail me directions to your store again? Thanks.

Panama, NY(Zone 5a)

It's cold, it's snowing, it looks like March to me! I'be been limping around the house all week wondering if I'm going to get anything done - so far the answer is NO. I've decided to just let myself wallow in this whole winter thing and not get excited about all the seeds that I ordered, or the plants that they say they will send me in May. there are 5 little pansy plants under the plant lights with me now, two dozen more planted. When they all get big enough to push me out of the way, I'll get my hopes up, a bit.

What was it Thoreau said, live in each season as it comes. Ok, here I go downstairs to find some tea and stale crackers and be one with the cabin fever! : )

Southern, CT(Zone 6a)

Its March alright. Haven't checked the weather report but this evening was the coldest I've felt all year. Have about 6 inches of new snow and I refuse to shovel it. The snow should just behave and melt away!

Long Island, NY(Zone 6b)

I don't think it's paying any attention to you Dave - seems like it's giving you the 'cold' shoulder!

Woodsville, NH(Zone 4a)

Woke up this morning to about 4" of new snow and it's still snowing.
Weather report last night said snow showers.
Sometimes I wonder what they consider an actual snowfall if this is a shower. LOL

You never know what they are thinking.
I think thats why we call them weather guessers!

Long Island, NY(Zone 6b)

I have another name......

lol

Long Island, NY(Zone 6b)

I think it was Andy that said now is the time to clip some of those flowering shrub branches and force them inside. I might just do that. Since it's so cold, this snow is not melting!

Brockton, MA(Zone 6a)

Anita, If you want to make bouquets out of woody flowering prunings, Wait until the buds swell a bit before pruning.
Andy P

Long Island, NY(Zone 6b)

Thanks Andy!!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.