Forcing limbs

Lombard, IL(Zone 5b)

Does anybody force limbs that they prune to use inside? I just had to prune some limbs of my Bloodgood from some minor damage due to a larger tree being trimmed. I gave them fresh cuts and hammered the ends and put in a vase. Am I nuts or do alot of people do this in the spring after they prune their japanese maples?

Rock Island, IL(Zone 5b)

Nope, never heard of anybody but you!

So you hit them with a hammer, too? Never heard of that either.

I know a lot of people force growth on their Witchhazel's, Roses, Gardenia's...and I also know a guy who trims his Arborvitae and boils it in his house for fragrance.

But never heard the Japanese Maple hammer routine...

Dax

Springfield, IL(Zone 6a)

Willis ....Do let us know how it turns out...David

St. John's, NL(Zone 5b)

Just as a side note, under normal circumstances you should not prune JM at this time of year...best to do it after they have completed the first flush of growth.

I have forced JM cut branches for my plant ID classes...I never hammered the ends and they leafed out the best kind.

Lombard, IL(Zone 5b)

I thought pounding all woodies with a hammer was the proper technique when putting them in vases. It supposedly increases the surface area for water absorption. I also have some Ballerina Magnolia stems in a vase courtesy a bunny.

Todd, how long did it take for yours to leaf out (I realize there is a lot of variables)?

St. John's, NL(Zone 5b)

I seem to recall at least 2 weeks.....they were faster than Norway maples.

Lombard, IL(Zone 5b)

Yeah, it looks like the buds are still swelling and one started to open. The magnolia are just about to open now. Do they last a decent amount of time?

Lombard, IL(Zone 5b)

Well, it is leafing out and some of the flowers are open. I'll take some pics tonight or Tuesday. It is nice to be able to look closely at the flowers and buds, etc and not have the neighbors think I am a wack job for staring at a tree up close.

Bill

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.