A dejected Decumbent

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

Yep, the Aesculus parviflora seeds I thought I'd been safely keeping in containers in my walk-in hoophouse all winter are no more. I may have thought I was stratifying them, but what I was really doing is allowing them to rot.

Third year in a row I've collected masses of these seeds with nothing to show for it. I thought I had protected them from predation this winter by placing 5-gallon buckets over the containers so that rodents couldn't help themselves to my nuts, but I checked on them today and the buckeyes were all wet and mushy.

Can these things not freeze?

Scott

Presque Isle, WI(Zone 3b)

Bummer, I feel your pain and frustration. As a "cub" fan I can only say: "wait till next year!" Ken

Northumberland, United Kingdom(Zone 9a)

Ouch!

Maybe the trick is to plant them out as soon as you collect them, and put a sheet of chicken wire over the top to stop squirrels digging.

Resin

I'm really sorry about your Buckeyes. Try planting them outside. Then stick chicken wire over the top and put down a thin layer of top soil over that and see if that doesn't help keep the furry rats from having num nums at your expense so they can get a chance to germinate. People are having success with chicken wire. Once it germinates, cut the chicken wire and remove it.

Elburn, IL(Zone 5a)

Bummer Scott--you have should have taken me up on my offer while you were here!

Illinois, IL(Zone 5b)

On the plus side, you're still young and there's always next year! I would plant themoutdoors in well drained soil as suggested above, but I use half-inch wire mesh instead of chicken wire or mice might get through. Leave the wire on the entire first growing season, lifting it off after the leaves drop in autumn. Rodents have been known to uproot some of my seedlings in midsummer to eat what's left of the nut.

Ken, you're an honest and brave man. Not many people would actually admit to being a Cubs fan anymore! Go-Go-White-Sox! (No, actually I couldn't care less about any baseball team, but the Cubs are SUCH a farce!)
;-)

Guy S.

Presque Isle, WI(Zone 3b)

Of course your right, but the way is set, it's too late for this old dog to change. I could point to the Red and White Sox recent success and say it's our time; however, it is hard to be optimistic in view of such comedy of errors.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.