suggestions for "living carpet"

Brighton, TN

I'm preparing to put in a wonderful garden area just off of my back porch and through this garden I'm planning a flagstone walkway to a covered hottub area that sits about 30-40' out. The conditions will be full sun for a time until the trees get bigger (it all use to be a bean field so we're working with a blank canvas). I'm ammending the clay bean soil and improving the drainage in the area. Would greatly appreciate some suggestions for a "living carpet" that I can plant between some of the stones that will be conducive for high traffic, yet still be pretty and lush....We're in covington, TN so heat , humidity and an inexperienced gardener are definite factors.

d

Gallatin, TN(Zone 7b)

Mondo grass is good--in the family with "monkey" grass or liriope but much shorter and narrower leaves. Also there is something called "trailing tears" I believe...small, round, green leaves that have tiny little flowers and spread.

Do you have a Southern Living Plant Encyclopedia? They are so valuable, not expensive--about $25--have plants grouped according to many different categories and lots of good info.

Ashdown, AR(Zone 8a)

the dwarf monkey grass gets only 2-4" tall,doesn't need to be mowed and takes all kinds of conditions and foot traffic.Mazus repans would take the over-splash from the hottub. You can get it in in white or purple flowering.Flowers mostly in cool weather for me.. Takes some foot traffic. Evergreen,very low profile,not much more than 2" tall.

P

Brighton, TN

Two great suggestions; both of which I'll follow through on. I had actually looked up the Mazus repans; havent seen it sold locally here, but then I'm not familiar yet with location of all the nurseries. Thanks to you both.

Ashdown, AR(Zone 8a)

If you can't find mazus repans locally,try Bluestone Perennials.

P

Union Grove, AL

Thymes should do well between the pavers, lovely scent when trodden, pennyroyal gets a bit tall when it blooms but is nice till then, alussum, will work in the low traffic areas and if you have a good bit of width, i'd leave a few stones out and plant a few larger plants just for the variety

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.