Advice needed on seedling heat mats?

Raleigh, NC(Zone 7b)

PS: I am going to buy seedling heat mats but would like to be able to control it to a specific temperature, anyone know where I can buy something like that.

Thanks,
Michelle

Lizella, GA(Zone 8a)

Michelle,, now I am not an expert, but I have had very good results this year using regular heating pads to start tomato and eggplant seeds (I just use low setting) I found 2 recently at Big Lots - if you have those stores - for 7.88. I had bought one at Walmart for more, but it had automatic cut-off, so returned it. Can send pic later...nitey nite,, Elaine

Raleigh, NC(Zone 7b)

Elaine,

Thank you, I have the regular ones. I am almost embarrassed to say but I want one that goes to exactly 80F for starting..................watermelon inside. My book says that watermelon germinate at 80F, these seeds I have are precious and I want to be able to take care of them. Thanks though, I should stop using my expensive heat pads for seeds and I know my daughter needs auto shut off.

Michelle

south of Grand Rapid, MI(Zone 5a)

I bought a mat and thermometer thingy from Parks this Dec. I love the mat, but haven't even used the thermometer. I wish I had gotten two matts instead. I'd get one!

Lizella, GA(Zone 8a)

Oh I understand about those precious watermelon seeds.. you know I think they are hybridizing all the flavor out of watermelons like they are doing to tomatoes.. I am trying some heirloom tomato seeds just so I can get that flavor that I remember from my childhood. I just remembered that I received some Black Tail Mountain (1927 ) watermelon seeds and maybe I need to start them tomorrow. They are suppose to be cold-tolerant too.LOL Elaine

Raleigh, NC(Zone 7b)

Elaine,

Perhaps I will just try the Sunbeam on high and use a thermometer for the soil temp and since I have some time plant one at a time to see if it germinates under specific conditions. I managed some pear tomatoes and they germinated just fine, but I believe watermelon is a little higher. I do wish they wouldn't take all the good stuff out of the fruit, I understand what you mean.

Thanks, Michelle

somewhere, PA

check Charlies Greenhouse too - I have a big one I bought there a few years
ago that has a thermostat for exact temperatures.
Tam

Raleigh, NC(Zone 7b)

Thank you very much

Michelle

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.