male kiwi

Raleigh, NC(Zone 7b)

Does anyone know its preferences besides what is known in the plant files. I.e.: east facing wall, clay, etc.

Denver, CO

A latin name, my friend, will get you farther.
-I am beginning a project of Actinidia.
K. James

Raleigh, NC(Zone 7b)

I am embarassed to say I knew the latin name. I just didn't want to take the time to type it.

Thank you
M

Jackson, SC(Zone 8a)

http://www.crfg.org/pubs/ff/kiwifruit.html

hope this helps

Denver, CO

Good Information.

(Imzadi: I just took out your little Hop to thaw, would you like me to send it soon? -If that is not a problem for you.)

Jackson, SC(Zone 8a)

Thats fine James when ever its ready to send. Thanks Marie

Bessemer City, NC(Zone 7b)

My experience with my A. kolomitka male is that it is true what I heard: they are weaker growers than the females. Like teenage boys, they mature after the girls (so it is said....)

I'm not entirely convinced I had a kolomitka though. I bought it form one of those mail order plant clubs and had my doubts about other plants being what they were supposed to be. I never saw my male develope any color other than green. It eventually succumbed to bad pruning (family member thought it looked like a weed vine) and circumstance. The female took the pruning in stride and recovered completely the next year.

I have the female growing up through a dogwood tree. Seems to be doing alright though I suspect it should have bloomed by now, so is probably not getting enough light.

Wish I had more to offer.

Robert.

Raleigh, NC(Zone 7b)

Robert,

I tried to picture the pruning instructions, but couldn't understand them. Do you have any idea about pruning them. Sorry to say without pictures I can be lost when it comes to pruning.

Michelle

Hornick, IA(Zone 4b)

I believe I need to move a male (kiwi )
It is the only surviver from a set of three of the hardy kind.
I assume it to be the male. No blossoms!
It is next to my pond with Koi one of the vines all twisted together, so to speak; drooped into the pond and a day or two later I had som fish floating on their sides.
I quickly removed to another tank that I use for qurantine. Run water from a small pump to help them clean their gills and such , moved them back and forth.
they would swim for a while then back up on their side. Each atempt got more fish swimming better and better. after about an hour, more or less, I had all but one, saftly swimming on their own. That one died within a short time.
Question should this be posted as a fish safty matter?
I checked on the toxidity of the Kiwi and the best I could come up with is that some people are extreamly alergic to the Kiwi. which causes their lips and face to swell up , even a few patches on their hands and arms where they touched the vines or fruit. It probably was the culprirt. I have since made sure no vines have gotten into the water. have not had it happen since. that was two years ago.
I like the kiwi fruit. but only have the one. so I am out of luck there. unless I can get two or more females. and can transplant this guy to another area.
please help would like to be sure on this with the Koi.
Russ

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.