Soil Bugs / Mites??

South West, LA(Zone 9a)

I was watering a potted plant today and I thought I saw something move, so I got out the spy glass and saw the soil moving with tiny bugs. They have no wings and look like some kind of mite. Is it a foe? Treatment?
Thanks
Caren

Celaya, Mexico(Zone 10a)

Any more details? Do those bugs jump when you water?

South West, LA(Zone 9a)

No they just crawl around. anmlost look white in color. I cant see them at all till I water. Does that help any?

Celaya, Mexico(Zone 10a)

Most likely your soil has a fair amount of organic material that is attracting these critters. Most of them are harmless and don't actually attack any living plant material. They come to the surface when you water to avoid drowning and they'll go "underground" again once the water has been soaked up.

South West, LA(Zone 9a)

Thank you!

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

Soil mealybugs, if that's what these are, are considered "foe" by african violet enthusiasts. A sprinkle of diatomaceous earth on the surface or mixed into your potting mix can deter soft-bodied pests, including fungus gnat larvae. You can also add Murphy's Oil Soap and/or Lysol when you water to kill things in the soil... 1 capful per gallon of water. You might consider pulling your plant out of the pot to see if these bugs seem to be causing root damage before you declare all out warfare.

I'm much more "live & let live" when it comes to random bugs on outdoor plants, but I have a low tolerance for them in potted indoor plants!

South West, LA(Zone 9a)

Thank you Critter. I too share your view.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.