Bedding for broodmare stall

Taylors, SC

Calling all DGers w/ experience w/ broodmares!
I have taken down the wall btwn 2 stalls and made the "birthing stall". I put in the wheat straw (which is what I read I should use as bedding for a birthing stall) and settled my mare in her new "digs"for the night last night.
This morning I went to clean stalls and I must tell you, this wheat straw is the worst bedding I can imagine! It doesn't soak up urine hardly at all------and you can't really pick the manure out of it (you just have to take the whole are up.)
Please, please give me some other ideas that work better. I can not imagine using this stuff for weeks on end!!
I have always used pine shavings and I have read they are not acceptable for use in a birthing stall---but surely there is something to choose from other than wheat straw?!?
Share w/ me what you use, please.
TIA

This thread has 14 replies. This forum is accessible only to subscribing members of Dave's Garden. There are many free features here, and about half of our forums are completely open to all members. And learn more about Dave's Garden, and explore the benefits of becoming a subscribing member.

Want to join? Register here. Already signed up? Click here to login!