Elderberry for shading wall?

Atmore, AL(Zone 8b)

I would like to plant something on the south wall of my house to shade it from the hot summer sun. I was thinking of planting Elderberry about 2ft out from the wall. Would it be suitible for this or would it get too big? There is one picture on PlantFiles that I like, it shows pretty much shows the same thing.

Illinois, IL(Zone 5b)

There are several elderberry species. Some become small trees, others not. I think I would look around some more before deciding, unless you want the elderberries for fruit or some other specific reason.

Guy S.

Eau Claire, WI

Here's a pic of S. canadensis 'Aurea' I took last summer at the U of Minnesota arb. I wouldn't mind having this one, but there were numerous suckers popping up all around it. I think it would take some effort to keep it in check.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v145/maackia/Woody%20Stuff/Deciduous%20Shrubs/HPIM1649.jpg

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

Elderberries I have seen tend to be on the weedy side, even the new purple-leafed types. Not that weedy is bad...just the right plant in the right site. One exception: the lace-leafed elderberry (and I apologize, but I cannot remember the species. Probably S. canadensis, but I'm not sure). This one grows more slowly and artistically. Very beautiful plant. Foliage a lot like some Japanese Maples. I tried to root some last fall. If they overwintered, I could give you a small plant.

Scott

Atmore, AL(Zone 8b)

I do already have a small plant that I got from a native plant nursery, but I havn't a clue where to put it. I was just thinking that it would do good along the back wall of my house. It would be a nice natural look. A plus for the birds too.

Elburn, IL(Zone 5a)

I planted Elderberry in my long hedge row, and they also grow wild in my woods. If you plant it two feet out from your foundation, you are about 4' too close. After four years, my plants that came in 5 gallon containers were at least 12' x 12'.

Atmore, AL(Zone 8b)

Oh'my, I may have to scrap that plan then.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.