Experience with Cryptomeria japonica 'Black Dragon?'

Linden, VA(Zone 6a)

I saw in the Tree forum that Dea is growing Cryptomeria japonica 'Black Dragon' in her garden and wondered if she and others of you could relay your experience with it.
This is its 2nd winter in my windy garden and I'd resolved it would have to be moved in the spring because of the browning. I've read that it needs wind protection, so I though that was its problem. But I saw a very protected specimen in the UNC Arboretum Friday and it has just as much browning. So i'm wondering now if it might likely be a waste of time to move it.

Lexington, VA(Zone 6a)

mickgene, although their winter color is usually bronze, if yours is brown, I'd consider moving it. They do prefer protection from high winds and it sounds like your "windy garden" might qualify. They also perform better with more moisture, so if yours is planted in a dry AND windy location, that would be two strikes against it! In the higher range of its hardiness (Zone 8), there is also a fungus problem that causes tip dieback - hopefully that isn't what you're experiencing.

Linden, VA(Zone 6a)

I'll have to look for info on that fungus.

I wish my windbreaks were faster growers! I should've gone ahead with using those white pines for the first few years, I guess.

Lexington, VA(Zone 6a)

Or try Leyland Cypress :) FYI, Pestalotia and Phyllosticta are the two culprits that have caused problems for this genus.

Linden, VA(Zone 6a)

I could tolerate the Leyland Cypress much better. Thanks for the info, Debra.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.