I've been shopping again...

I bought this kit. Totally impractical but I thought it might be nice to let the kids see roots on something. I read something from an ICPS publication that somebody had luck propagating a Sarracenia from a leaf pull. Does anyone remember that particular article? I think it was Barry Rice that did it. I think he used a Sarracenia purpurea. I've got a ton of those and was sort of wondering if it might not be worth a try.

Has anyone tried to root a Sarracenia leaf pull? I don't recall him having the greatest success but he did say he had gotten a few to root.

Other than that, can anyone suggest something carnivorous to plop in one of these little jell cells? They look fun.

Thumbnail by Equilibrium
Sherwood, MI(Zone 5b)

Looks nifty, I wonder if it would work for neps. They would grow the most noticeable roots from all the cps I can think of that root easily. I have not had good success with rooting sarr leaf pulls so I dont know if that would be an option and ping pulls dont have many roots at all. So all I can see as an option would be a nep cutting.

I've used some of this gel stuff before. Be sure that you keep the gel topped off, or that you seal up the opening at the top. The moisture evaporates quickly leaving the gel very clumpy and thick. I'll be interested to see what luck you have with it. I used it over the winter to root some hydrangea cuttings, but didn't have very good luck. This was, of course, because fall wasn't the best time to take cuttings. But I had no choice in the matter because that's when they were available to me.
So let me know how it works for you. I saved some back to try in early spring to see if it worked better.

Quoting:
Be sure that you keep the gel topped off, or that you seal up the opening at the top. The moisture evaporates quickly leaving the gel very clumpy and thick.
Good to know. We must not have chunky unattractive gel!

I sort of figured I was going to be left with a Nep cutting myself but was hoping somebody might have had success with a Sarr pull.

Drumheller, AB(Zone 2a)

Morning!

How do you take a nep cutting? I have just acquired a nep and would love to start more.

I also seen these here in Canada at Canadian Tire and wondered if they would be anygood.

Thanks a bunch!

Joanne

Say, I needed detailed photos of the process and Wolf took them for me. There is a thread here that has the photos I needed for an after school club that he created for me to add to the school binder. Look for that thread and you will see how to take a Nep cutting.

You have a store called Canadian Tire that sells Neps? Do they look healthy to you? Maybe the owner of the tire store is a Nep Hobbyist and he offers them for sale. I wouldn't let the fact that a plant is being sold at a tire store stop me from buying it if it looked healthy.

Drumheller, AB(Zone 2a)

Hi Lauren,

LOL!!! No, I seen the gel there...I wondered if that would come across wrong...sorry!

Joanne

Naa, it's me. Sometimes my mind gets in serious mode and I overlook the obvious. After all, the thread was started because of the gel pacs I bought- duh.

LOL ! Unattractive gel? AS IF!! No, I was actually referring to the fact that when the gel gets dried out a bit, it splits open similar to a crack in a jello mold. This exposes the stem to the air and it can dry out. Sorry. Sometimes I think people can see the pictures I have in my mind and I forget to describe them.
Actually, if you CAN see the pictures I have in my mind, don't tell me. It would be entirely disturbing.

Vancouver, BC

Actually Canadian Tire is not just a tire store but a automotive, home hardware, seasonal, home decor, small appliance store all rolled into one.

We have stores like where I come from but... you're missing a few services- Post Office, convenient store, liquor, all with two gas pumps out front. Those types of stores are the best. Our stores in the UP didn't offer Home Decor products but they did have racks of post cards. I love small towns!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.