clematis Ernest Markham question

Pinon Hills, CA

I bought this clematis today and it is about 2 1/2 ft. high with about 5-6 vines. I've never bought one with this much growth, so my question is, should I prune it back to 6-12 inches in spring? From what I'm reading, this would be the recommended pruning for this clem, but I'm not sure if that is meant for already in the ground clematis. It is in a gallon container with a very good root system.

I should add that in my zone 8 CA, we have about 3-4 weeks more of possible winter weather, including frost and snow. I am planning on potting it up in a larger container and keeping it in a sheltered spot on my deck.

Thanks, Di

Ellicott City, MD(Zone 7a)

Di,

Personally, I like to prune back my Clematis severely because it causes them to produce multiple stems, which in turn will produce more flowers. Cut it back now to about 1 ft and give it a few granules of Osmocote fertilizer, which will gradually break down over time, feeding your plant. Growing it in a large container is perfectly fine! That way you can move it around your garden. I hope it will give you lots of beautiful flowers for years to come!

Denver, CO

Prune it when it is just beginnning to break bud, when green has only just begun to come out. The pot is a great idea.

Pinon Hills, CA

Thank you, both! I checked with the nursery where I bought it. They are in a warmer zone than I, so they prune at different times. They are quite certain it had already been pruned.

I could try a little experiment - pruning some of the vines and leaving a few others. There are already so many new buds and leaves it makes it hard for me to cut it back severely. I'll pot it up and ponder it a bit more. : )

Again, thanks! Di

Di,

Clematis, Ernest Markham is considered a Type II, so pruning lightly will be fine. Prune it AFTER it blooms! Otherwise, you would be cutting off all those beautiful flowers!! I also fertilize in early Spring and then again in mid-June. Did you get your Clematis at Chalk Hill Nursery? If you did, they are excellent & give good advise.

Here's a link for Ernest Markham at Clematis on the Web. http://www.clematis.hull.ac.uk/clemdetail.cfm?dbkey=162

Denver, CO

Oh, I'm sorry! Yes, they bloom on old wood. Some say to prune those just to shape them or control them.

Pinon Hills, CA

Shirley1,

No, I bought it at a local nursery. They have wonderful plants and knowledgeable staff. A lot of their plants are grown by Monrovia, whose plants do very well in So.Ca. Thank you for the link! I have visited that site in the past - they have great pics. : )

No problem, JamesCO. This was an impulse buy, but I've since done my homework. I may treat it as I do my Mrs. Cholmondeley.

Thanks again!
Di

Rock Island, IL(Zone 5b)

I wouldn't prune it at all this year. Let the foliage help develop/feed the roots. Then prune it slowly by slowly each year. Next year after buds break and you "recognize a nice place to prune it, (As many spots of new growth as possible at the lowest point) prune it (above) that point.

Then the following year, cut at a point just above this years pruning spot where once again you see a lot of bud break. Then, from that point on out, you can do your light pruning as needed. This is how anything that you want to branch (above the ground) for thickness/vigor should be done. It's the roots that you want to give the most leeway for during the first couple years it's in the ground.

Regards,

Dax

Di,

Some Clematis are just prone to wilt more than other varieties. That's why so many gardeners love the Viticellas....because they don't get Clematis Wilt!

Usually, Group 2's are more prone to getting this wilt, but spraying with a fine grade of Horticultural Oil several times through out the season really helps the plant combat this problem. If your vine does suffer from this wilt, just cut back the dead leaves. The Clematis should come back next year, hopefully a lot stronger!

Rock Island, IL(Zone 5b)

Thanks for the information Shirley!

Dax

You're welcome! :~)

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.