Order chicks soon...

New Iberia, LA(Zone 9a)

I need to know before I go ahead order chicks. Where we lives, in the summer, it's very hot and humid. In the winter, it doesn't get very cold or deep cold. Mostly cooler weather. The list of chickens that I would like to order. Is they ok for heat, humid in the summer? I know Barred Rock and RIR, Single comb brown leghorn do fine in heat summer. But I don't know about others. I never raise or have them in my life.

I would like to order. Barred Rock, RIR, Columbian Wyandottes and I haven't decided which Amercicana or Partidge Rocks that I should order or should I order both? LOL I will order them from Mcmurray Hatchery. I like different colors of chickens. I will order hens. Any suggestion. I would love to have Buff Rocks or Buff Orpingtons but I don't think they can take the heat in the summer.

Shenandoah Valley, VA(Zone 6b)

I think if they have shade and nice water they will be okay, (though of course one of the Mediterranean breeds would do really well) but I think you should talk to the folks at McMurray, too. They ought to be pretty straight w/ you about it. Lucky you! 25 chickens!

Southwestern, OH(Zone 6b)

Trish, I found this website that has about everything you'd want to know, where they originated from, how common they are, if they are good with people, what type of personality they have, if they are good setters, layers, lots of information, it's pretty neat. They have breeds listed Hardy, Very cold or heat hardy, etc. After reading, I'm positive I made the right choice with my Buff Orpingtons, it says they are hardy, so I'm sure they'd be fine down there with you. Here is the website:

http://www.ithaca.edu/staff/jhenderson/chooks/chooks.html

I also found this article about chickens being raised in South America... the article says that they pick the large and compact types that we call a 'heavy breed' or 'Asiatic' and give examples of Rhode Island Red or Sussex. Going by that, I'd say you'd be fine with about anything you wanted to get as long as you make sure they have fresh water all the time, and shade as Zeppy mentioned.

http://www.cipav.org.co/lrrd/lrrd11/3/mal113.htm

New Iberia, LA(Zone 9a)

Thank you. I am going to check it. I just woke up! LOL

Shenandoah Valley, VA(Zone 6b)

I just ordered some (standard) Golden aced Wyandottes, Light Brahmas, and Black Australorps. I like a colorful flock, and these will balance out my little group of RI reds, Buff Orps and Ameraucanas. Plus I wanted a couple Brahmas for the broody possibilities. I hear they're wonderful mamas.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.