Agave Felipe Otero

Acton, CA(Zone 8b)

ever heard of it? That's what this plant was identified as. I can't seem to find any reference for that. It's very slow growing whatever it is (been just about this size for a few years- about 6" across)

Thumbnail by palmbob
Valley Village, CA

Okay I'm growing this plant, I'll need to go out and find the label X your fingers, that I still have the label. I havae it with this label as AGAVE sp. F0076 cv. Titanata . I took my life in my hands when I pulled out the label. Are we looking at the same plant?

Thumbnail by Crasulady2
Acton, CA(Zone 8b)

Sure could be, only yours looks a bit happier

Valley Village, CA

Bob, I looked it up in two books and found it. That is exactly what it is. Agave titionata it is a species and only one type location. I love the sculpturred look, but it is dangerous to handle. Thanks, Norma

Valley Village, CA

Bob, I looked it up in two books and found it. That is exactly what it is. Agave titionata it is a species and only one type location. I love the sculptured look, but it is dangerous to handle. Thanks, Norma

SW, WI(Zone 4b)

I googled it, and it is referred to as Agave Filipe Otero (FO-076) so I think you two have the same plant!

If you haven't already done so, palmbob...try googling it, as a lot of hits came up (including TyTy nursery!).
For some reason DG posts google links incomplete for me, or I'd have posted it.)

Acton, CA(Zone 8b)

Thanks... so looks like this is a green form of Aloe titanota.

Valley Village, CA

Green form, explain please. I saw a picture of another form/variety that looks nothing like ours, with long leaves. The book doesn't refer to two different varieties. I wonder if our is an hybrid? Mine does offset, the book says they are not supposed to do that. ? ? ? ? Norma

Acton, CA(Zone 8b)

I have seen a number of offsetting A titanotas... but I am no expert on purity.

http://www.smgrowers.com/info/RuthBancroftGdn3.asp

This is a site where they discuss this 'form' of titanota and suggest the alternative identification. I guess as this small, stout plants mature, they may eventually end up looking more like typical titanotas, even though most of those are somewhat greyish-blue.

Kermit, TX(Zone 7b)

heres a pic of mine... got it at bachs in tucson az.. they called it agave shawii.... but i didnt think so... but I bought it anyways! hehehe

Thumbnail by leeann6
Acton, CA(Zone 8b)

That is definitely not A shawii.. it's for sure what I have though. Nice.

Phoenix, AZ(Zone 9b)

All 3 picts posted here are Agave Felipe Otero (FO-076)
"FO-076" is the field collection number, and I can assure you that it is very different than A. titanota, the thorns are a dead giveaway.
I have a pict of the real A. titanota, and I'll post it up here as soon as I find it.

Read my commenet I wrote on this page
http://davesgarden.com/pf/go/92996/index.html

This message was edited Feb 27, 2006 8:26 PM

Phoenix, AZ(Zone 9b)

OK, here's the real Agave titanota, it looks very different than the above posted photos.

Thumbnail by Xenomorf
Phoenix, AZ(Zone 9b)

Here's the google search for it, all kinds of info.
google.com/search?hl=en&lr=&q=%22Felipe+Otero%22&btnG=Search

Phoenix, AZ(Zone 9b)

Except one thing, Crasulady2's agave looks different than the other two F.O.'s,

Chandler, AZ(Zone 9b)

Agave 'FO-076' has now been officially described and named Agave oteroi (CSSA Journal, June 5, 2019).

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.