Asclepias tuberosa

Scarborough, ME(Zone 5a)

I am having difficulty starting this plant by seed even though I am following the stratification instructions, etc. Has anyone had experience with this seed? I would love some advice. Thanks. Karen

Thumbnail by nerakjh
Cincinnati (Anderson, OH(Zone 6a)

Hi, nerakjh-- I will be watching your thread.

I purchased two packets of milkweed-- one tuberosa, one a purple swampweed, and read the directions (which sounded complicated with the scarification, cold, warm, etc.) so I went ahead and 'wintersowed' them, as others have done on the Wintersowing Forum.

Of course, first I soaked them overnight in Hydrogen Peroxide/water solution, which may have been a mistake, but...

We shall see what happens!

Seaford, NY(Zone 7a)

I have had success using a moist paper towel inside a baggie in the fridge( about 40degrees F) for about 60 days. You can place then seeds in pots and lightly cover with soil and then they need light to germinate (at 60-70 degrees F).
alternatively, after the 60 day cold moist place on window sill still in baggies and when you see a root emerge from the seed you can place in a pot just under the surface of soil.
PS The seeds I used were purchased from seedsavers.org (most seeds germinated in about 14 days and some even sooner) GOOD LUCK

Scarborough, ME(Zone 5a)

Thank you very much. It sounds as though you both did this in the fall. After you planted them in the spring did they bloom they bloom that first year?? Guess I will have to wait until next year AGAIN!!!!!!!!
Karen

Divernon, IL(Zone 5b)

I planted some seed that overwintered part of winter in garage; after they got large enough to transplant in the spring they were placed in the ground and bloomed late that summer.

Divernon, IL(Zone 5b)

I failed to mention - the seed orginally was collected from the wild.

Seaford, NY(Zone 7a)

I just looked at my empty seed pack from 2 years ago( I saved it). I only did a 3 week cold period (as recommended on the pack instructions). I started the cold treatment in mid Feb and they flowered in the first summer!

This message was edited Feb 24, 2006 2:30 PM

Scarborough, ME(Zone 5a)

Oh wow, branches, only a three week cold period. I am very encouraged. I am going to plant my seeds this weekend. Thank you, all, for your help and suggestions! I will keep you posted!

nerakjh-- I just planted my milkweed last month in covered containers outside using this 'wintersowing' method. http://www.wintersown.org/ Here's a pic.

I'll bet it will work for you, too.

The 'Deno' method (the way Branches did it) with paper towels or coffee filters in a baggie is an easy way to go, too, if you want to use your refridgerator. I've done that before.

I want lots of milkweed for my monarch butterflies. Is that why you are planting it?

Thumbnail by tabasco
Scarborough, ME(Zone 5a)

Tabasco ~ Great information and great website. I am very impressed. Thank you. YOu all have given me some great advice and I thank you. I planted my seeds last night using Branches's method. I have a refrigerator down cellar dedicated to seeds, plants, bulbs, etc. Yes, I am encouraging the MOnarchs also.

OSAKA, Japan(Zone 9b)

Hi nerakjh,

I sowed two species of Asclepias family seeds this winter.

One is Tweedia silenoides sowed Feb.14 germinated Feb.20
another is Asclepias currasavica sowed Feb.7 germinated Feb.13

They germinated within a week at 70-80F without cold treatment.
I believe that this type does not need any cold period ,only need warmth.

This pic shows what they are today.
Hoping this would be of some help.

Tomtom

Thumbnail by Tomtom

Hi, tomtom--

Great to have you posting!

And interesting to know about your success with the asclepias germination.

I hope you will be posting some wonderful container plantings this spring?! I missed seeing them in the past few months.

Will you be using Milkweed in your containers?

Hillsboro, OH(Zone 6a)

Tropical Asclepias do not need a cold treatment. The hardy ones do. In zone 5, you can just put them in a container outside and they will sprout when it warms up. You should have enough days left of fluctuating temps to get them going.

I noticed these at Walmart the other day for $1.88. They are from one of the big name wholesale companies.

OSAKA, Japan(Zone 9b)

Hi tabasco,
I'm very glad to meet you again ,too.
I'll surely post my new containers as soon as possible.

Yes, I 'm going to use these asclepias this summer in containers.

----------------------------------------------------------------
Badseed,

Many thanks for your valuable info about hardy Asclepias.
My species are probably HHP .So that why they sprouted without a cold treatment.
So happy to have new info.
Thank you.

Tomtom

Scarborough, ME(Zone 5a)

TomTom ~ I have not seen those species in my zone. For some reason it is not easy to even find A. tuberosa without putting out a hunt for it. I will look into Tweedia silenoides and Asclepias currasavica. I am very curious. Thank you.

OSAKA, Japan(Zone 9b)

nerakjh,

I sowed these these seeds first time this winter.
I got Tweedea seeds from Secret Seeds .
http://www.secretseeds.com/acatalog/Tweedia_silenoides.JPG

And KimGaither kindly sent me Asclepias currasavica seed by trade.
She send me a lot of seeds ,so I have some left.
If you interested in them, I 'm glad to pass them to you.
http://www.mytho-fleurs.com/images/jardins_botaniques/Meise_serre_mabundu/asclepias_curassavica_2.JPG

Tomtom

With the increased interest in butterfly gardening around here, various milkweed plants have become easier to find in our garden centers, but I have not seen the 'tweedia' at all.

To get around buying the nursery plants, though, I ordered various asclepias seeds from Specialty Perennials

http://www.hardyplants.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Store_Code=SP&Category_Code=Asss

and had a good and quick response from them.

If anyone is interested in comparing different asclepias, this Florida site has pics of many of the cultivated, native, and tropical milkweeds

http://www.csdl.tamu.edu/FLORA/imaxxasc.htm

I had no idea there were so many!

Scarborough, ME(Zone 5a)

TomTom ~ I would be interested in trying some of your Asclepias currasavica seeds, TomTom, and thank you for your offer. I have never swapped seeds on this site so I do not know the process.

nerakjh

OSAKA, Japan(Zone 9b)

nerakjh
I'm happy to send you Asclepias currasavica seeds.
Please let me know your address by D'mail.

Tomtom

Brockton, MA(Zone 6a)

I would think the 'winter sowing' method would be best.
I started these, "Gay Butterfly Mix" from seed without stratification. They had been stored in a cold spot of the basement though. ??
In the garden, they sprout like weeds in the Spring.
Andy P

Thumbnail by Sarahskeeper

Thought I would post this link for another thread discussing Milkweed Seeds FYI http://davesgarden.com/forums/t/561044/

I think it will be a popular flower this summer. I've seen it featured in a couple of magazine articles lately...

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.